ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my custom RSR.. the axle back was for the NB model so the entire diff back section was redone to bolt up to a Racing Beat Power Pulse connecting pipe. Given that the hangers on the canister were welded at different positions compared to the NA version, the muffler extends out farther from the bumper. I was a little bummed because I wanted it to look like how it should look, but I guess I grew on it already..

I wanted to ask Dicker if his exhaust vid clip that CrimsonMX5 put up was with his silencer in or without? With the resonated power pulse connecting pipe, the RSR sounds very comparable to CE28N's vid, so I'm really happy with that. I was afraid it was going to be too loud on the 1.8..

Some pics:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haven't had much time to snap shots and make sound clips, pardon for the ghetto pictures. When i have the time, I'll be sure to get it up!

·
Esteemed Member
3,416 Posts
my vids were with the silencer in, however my silencer was all burnt out (turbo cars ftl), with the silencer taken out its MUCH louder, and im working on rebuilding the silencer.

edit.

I assume yours sounds like peters because you have the resonated mid pipe, the real RSR is a straight midpipe, but peter uses an FM resonated test pipe (200$ D: ) instead of a cat like me and paul.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I love how far it sticks out. That look is quickly becoming the new "drifter" look, except most people just weld on a 3 in. pipe that extends even further past the bumper.

I know wayyyyy too many people who have done it on 240s and a couple on 86s.

But still, bad ass.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate the feedback.

Dicker, thanks for posting up, that sucks to hear about your silencer. I guess a rebuild is the only option since it's so damn hard to find another silencer..

I purchased the RB midpipe with the resonator to hopefully obtain the sound of CE28N's car after seeing that the actual RSR midpipe was a straight pipe like you stated..

I also did more research on the resonated test pipes, and damn that's a pretty crazy idea. Whenever someone was referring to "test pipes" on this forum, I was already assuming that they meant just a replacement pipe for the cat.. I never thought companies manufactured test pipes with resonators till today.. haha.

CE28N, did your FM resonated test pipe keep the sound levels to a low compared to having a cat?

I was also thinking about purchasing an Exhaust Control Valve from Apex-i to tone down the exhaust noise. Don't know if you guys ever heard of it, but it works the same way an exhaust cut-out would on a turbo car, except the butterfly valve is located inside the actual piping itself and not on a secondary Y-pipe opening.
http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_exhaust_detail.asp?id=251&pageNum=1

Someone installed this on an NA6 in japan, have to google language translate it to read it.
http://park17.wakwak.com/~hogehoge/roadster/ecv.htm

It's said to reduce exhaust noise up to 10db and is closeable/openable on the fly with a drive-by-wire cable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, I think it's a very considerable option if you can't get your hands on an NA version. The pipe modification is not too bad if you know a shop that wouldn't mind taking to the time to do it right. I didn't want any crush bent crap, so we cut up the NB piping and refabricated the bends. It had more than enough piping to do so, and you can still retain the RSR tag on the piping, haha.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts