ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've removed my antenna due to not having a stereo in the car any more, but there's some paint bubbling and rust around the hole. I'm not really wanting to weld it closed and therefore cut out the section and weld new metal in, so I'm hoping for some advice on the best way to take care of it. See the photos attached.

Will it be sufficient sanding the rust out to metal, priming over it and then hitting it with some colour-matched paint? Will I be expecting to find it coming back in the near future if I don't cut it out and weld in new metal, or am I right in thinking this is effectively surface rust at the moment?

Cheers :)

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
its rusting from the inside out.. so id treat the inside as is and level the topside out and treat it too. i use POR15 which seems to work well.. but if you're doing a nice paint job on it i'd cut it out - it's the only real way to get rid of rust.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its rusting from the inside out.. so id treat the inside as is and level the topside out and treat it too. i use POR15 which seems to work well.. but if you're doing a nice paint job on it i'd cut it out - it's the only real way to get rid of rust.
Cheers, I was planning on sanding back about 3/4" around the antenna hole (outside and inside) to make sure I was clear of any rust. I take it it's worth hitting it with some form of rust treatment before priming, then, even if I get back to clean metal for primer?

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you can find POR15 or Rust Bullet use that stuff.. it's great. You can order online - not sure about NZ though.. I'm from the other side of the world.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts