ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone as im sure everyone knows someones"Linh's" miata got stolen a few days ago and this had been bugging me for the longest.What theft devises actually work? I mean what can one actually do to stop someone beside the basic,alarm,lo-jack,removable steering wheel,brake lock,clutch lock,kill switch,park in safe well lit places. I know there different types of security for different cars but for miata's what have you guys tryed that work?... I just want to try and protect my car as much as i can as its more than a car to me its memories of my brother that passed away in Iraq well on his third tour. -_- It's more sentimental than anything. The nights we spent working on it,The good times we had driving around, but the most import is the promise he made to me before he passed away, witch was to finish the car when he came back....so now its up to me to do so... :(

well any information would be greatly appreciated,thanks guys.

·
3,857 Posts
I have an alarm with immobilizer.
Also when I park outside I can remove the LINK's keypad and the car won't start w/o it.

I believe the most cost effective way is to put the bar that lock the brake and the clutch! I heard that it's really good!

Next thing would be to install a switch that kills the battery or the ECU, you can hide it wherever you want!

Third (easy) disconnect the battery :)

BTW I also freaked out with what happened to Linh! On Saturday night I asked my friend to park in her garage and we went out with her car!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an alarm with immobilizer.
Also when I park outside I can remove the LINK's keypad and the car won't start w/o it.

I believe the most cost effective way is to put the bar that lock the brake and the clutch! I heard that it's really good!

Next thing would be to install a switch that kills the battery or the ECU, you can hide it wherever you want!

Third (easy) disconnect the battery :)

BTW I also freaked out with what happened to Linh! On Saturday night I asked my friend to park in her garage and we went out with her car!

Immobilizer? more info please, "link's"..info please.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I`m real sorry to hear the loss of your brother, that indeed is a special car and its safety is paramount.

Linh Dicker and I were talking about it earlier and all would work pretty good. Best way is to never leave the car in questionable places, and always park it in a highly visible and populated area. your good old basic alarm with a clearly visible blinking LED is a good deterent. Most thieves will think twice about messing with it for fear of all the noise it`ll make.

·
3,857 Posts
The immobilizers are like a kill switch, they cut either the battery or the ecu or the starter. They can be removed by experience thiefs but they are slowing them down. Many car alarms have 1,2 or 3 immobilizers...in general there are difficult to install.

If I were you I'll just put a switch in one of the ECU cables, or cut the electric circuit.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I`m real sorry to hear the loss of your brother, that indeed is a special car and its safety is paramount.

Linh Dicker and I were talking about it earlier and all would work pretty good. Best way is to never leave the car in questionable places, and always park it in a highly visible and populated area. your good old basic alarm with a clearly visible blinking LED is a good deterent. Most thieves will think twice about messing with it for fear of all the noise it`ll make.
Thank you,Yeah im just trying to think and find better ways to secure my car.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
What theft devises actually work? I mean what can one actually do to stop someone beside the basic alarm, lo-jack, removable steering wheel, brake lock, clutch lock, kill switch, park in safe well lit places.
Short answer is that NONE of them work 100%. There is no such thing as absolute theft protection. Obstacles may slow down or stop your amateur thieves, joy riders, vandals, and those who break and enter to steal your stereo but nothing will stop a determined thief from taking your car. If you put enough obstacles in their way they'll just tow it away if they still want it badly enough. You can't stand watch over your car 24/7 nor would you want to. That would be a horrible way to live. I suggest you purchase a good insurance policy and not worry about it. I hate alarm systems and find most often they're more trouble than they're worth. A hidden kill switch is a good idea so long as it can't be easily overridden by hot wiring the ignition. Always park in well lit places but a secure garage is preferable. Take REASONABLE steps to reduce the likelihood that someone would want your car or be able to abscond with it quickly but don't beat yourself up worrying about it.

If you're super paranoid about your car do what most exotic car and motorcycle owners do - only take it out on nice days for drives by yourself and return it immediately to your locked garage that features an alarm system with video surveillance, motion sensors, guard dogs, and lots of heavy steel armor. Don't stop for lunch, don't go to meets, don't talk to other people about it, don't reveal your true identity or clues to your whereabouts, etc. Even then you still might attract negative attention if you've got a flashy (e.g. expensive, rare, or modified) car.

·
Registered
552 Posts
guy i know had his car stolen while he was in a restaurant. he had the newest Viper pager type alarm and the Autolock on at the time. And it was stolen during the day. it was recovered crashed into a electric pole 2 days later. nothing was taken from the car.

·
3,857 Posts
Any idea how expensive is the loJack?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
guy i know had his car stolen while he was in a restaurant. he had the newest Viper pager type alarm and the Auto lock on at the time. And it was stolen during the day. it was recovered crashed into a electric pole 2 days later. nothing was taken from the car.
Miata? "auto lock?"the one that goes on the clutch or brake?...

doesn't the viper two way"pager" have a kill switch?...

what city?

·
Registered
552 Posts
it was an fd

the autolock works on brake or clutch

san francisco :mrgreen:

no kill switch, but it did have ignition cut off when triggered.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any idea how expensive is the loJack?
Im not 100% sure,I know my mom has it on her car "forgot how much she spent",
My step brother works for Lo-jack and he told me that no matter if your car has Lo-Jack or everything out there made your car will get stolen if someone really really wants it, that's true but you can never be to safe i guess,better safe than sorry?....
he had his integra stolen in front of his house and got it back but all stripped down with nothing left.

I'll ask him if you want ...?

·
Registered
517 Posts
First off, I want to warn you about getting attached to objects. Your memories of your brother live in you, not your car.

You can loose your car in an instant, you should limit your emotional attachment to it.

With that said, having your car stolen is about the worst way you can loose it.

If you happen to find yourself parked in a bad neighborhood you can pull fuses.

My friend's dad recomends a partial fuel kill switch. The idea is that fuel flow is reduced so that the car barely idles. Sure somebody can still drive off, but he reckons that somebody idling along at 5mph is going to be a total cop magnet and will likely ditch the car.

You could also hide different kill switches in different parts of the car. One for the fuel pump, another for the ECU, another for the brake lights, another for the clutch safety switch.

You could rig up a hidden alarm that remained silent until any of the pedals were pushed. Brake and Clutch would be easy, Throttle would be slightly harder.
I heard of a guy who had an FD in west Oakland. It was rumored that he put razors in the weatherstripping to destroy prying fingers.

I think the first goal of security is to keep the car from moving.

I think the second is to attract as much attention as possible. Think about what pisses off cops, then make your car do that if its stolen. Maybe blue underbody neons and strobes that come on if not disabled. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
373 Posts
You can also get a manual shut-off valve from a hydraulics supply store.

Install the valve in-line to the fuel feed line under the hood.

When you park the car,just pop the hood and shut the valve closed.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You can also get a manual shut-off valve from a hydraulics supply store.

Install the valve in-line to the fuel feed line under the hood.

When you park the car,just pop the hood and shut the valve closed.
Apply that theory to the brakes. Stomp them, then turn a valve to retain the pressure. Maybe a solenoid with a discrete switch?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts