ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanna get an input from you if there was any car that handle/drove like a Miata? Reason being, Im trying to get a second car that is not a Miata but dont want to buy a car that has opposite qualities than a Miata. Other than that, I could really use some backseats since Im 20 y.o. and friends are always pissed when they find out I could only drive of them in my Miata.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,611 Posts
Civics have surprisingly good handling, even on crappy tires. The SOHC D-series engines have surpring torque and are easy to drive fast.

YMMV

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Third gen Mazda Protege is a nice car to dominate Autox with. I have a Mazdaspeed model, but the non-turbos are just as good to fix up.

Check out my other favorite forum:

http://www.msprotege.com

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
what qualities are you talking about that you want to keep?

nothing proposed so far is even rwd. And you're asking for a backseat. To me, those things don't make a car "like a miata".

if "like a miata" you mean fun to drive, but similar in price i'd look at:

EG civic
sentra SER
wrx
MP3 or Mazdaspeed Protege
not the same price, but the new civic SI is bitchin. really nice car.

·
Registered
692 Posts
if i had the $ i'd get one of those old ae86s, with the hatchback. in black. i dont know where youre from but with a car that old you may not even need to worry about smog. and youve got back seats!!!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
CRX - Good looking, handle great, not very expensive, and lots of power is a b-series swap away, not to mention the aftermarket is huge.

AE86 - Hard to find one that isn't stupid expensive. Live axle (not necessarily a bad thing), lots of aftermarket

Mk II Golf GTi - Not very expensive, 16v is a great motor, plenty of aftermarket, pretty roomy backseat, very good handling car

Nissan SE-R (the older kind) - Not very expensive, good motor (did the older ones already have the SR20DE?), pretty decent amount of aftermarket, handle pretty well

Mazda RX-7 FB or FC, doesn't have to be turbo, lots of aftermarket, good handling, not too terribly expensive. However, rotaries tend to pop...a lot.

Those are a few I could just think of off the top of my head...

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
''did the older ones already have the SR20DE?''

-Yes they did and suprisingly they were also auto-x monsters.

Since nobody mentioned it, Nissan 240sx hatch or coupe. Its RWD, 50/50, great aftermarket, good forum, easy to work on, and it has backseats.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
''did the older ones already have the SR20DE?''

-Yes they did and suprisingly they were also auto-x monsters.

Since nobody mentioned it, Nissan 240sx hatch or coupe. Its RWD, 50/50, great aftermarket, good forum, easy to work on, and it has backseats.
Thanks Nick, wasn't entirely sure. Dunno why more people don't do SE-R's, there used to be a BEAST of an SE-R in greensboro, over 400hp if I remember correctly.

Anyways...good call on the S13/S14...only thing, they, like the AE86's, are getting way too expensive because of the whole drift thing....god help us in a week when "Tokyo Drift" hits :(

·
Registered
592 Posts
MINI- now THAT dominates autcross!

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I am telling you, if you want to do well in AutoX and have a sensible daily driver, the 3rd gen Protege chasis is where it's at.

And about 3fast 3furious, think about the gold mine junk yards are going to be when rich kids wreck their hot new drift cars their moms and dads bought for thim... Hooray!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Look at G and H stock http://www.scca.com/Event/Result.asp?Ref2=281 Only two cars aren't MINIs. The protege falls into H stock.

The MINI is as close to a Miata as a FWD can get. Underpowered, but it makes an average driver look like a champion in the handling department.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,611 Posts
Honestly, for the price/modability/ease of maintenance, Civics are just really hard to beat. I can't say enough good about mine, and it's a beat up looking 160k mile-old car on crap tires, steelies, and stock suspension.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Dunno why more people don't do SE-R's
'Cause most of them are beat to death... I always thought they were cool. A guy in Wilmington runs one that's painted with chalkboard paint! He writes the numbers on the car and other crap at each event, it's a riot!!

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Link to a budget Protege AutoX machine, if you want ideas about the 3rd gen Protege platform.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123633761

I'd still say Protege over Mini any day of the week.
Well let's not let facts get in the way shall we.

And before you post a challenge show me some NATIONAL level autocross results with your name on them.

Although I did have a tough time beating a stock (tires and all) Corolla at a San Diego event with the MINI.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts