ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Honda F1 car to debut later this month. Rumor has it that the car have green livery. This is a departure from previous years (where BAR was the title sponsor) - but why green? I figured Honda would stick to red/white.

Anyone able to shed any light on this?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Growing up in Japan we are use to hi-revving lightweight cars that can corner. I am a big fan of F1. One of my best friends from Japan use to race in F3. Who knows what corporate is thinking about the colors.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Depends on how much money the main sponser gives them.

I remember back when I watched it, years ago, the honda to have was the yellow jordan and was called the "Buzzing Hornet" from sponser benson and hedges I think. BAR hondas wernt much good, they started with a red white and blue scheme then switched to the luckystirke and ol' championship white with mugen colors down the cowl.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
just found this

LONDON ? Honda, one of the world's leaders in environmentally friendly technology, may demonstrate that emphasis with a green color for its Formula 1 racing cars in 2007.

According to Marketing Week magazine, the cars driven by Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello are expected to have a makeover that promotes Honda's "green" attitude, leveraging the color as "a powerful marketing strategy for the future."

Traditionally, dating from the early days of motor racing when colors distinguished the nationality of entrants, the deep shade of British racing green identified competitors from the United Kingdom. Jaguar was the most recent British F1 team to use the traditional color, in 2004.

Corporate sponsorship, however, has altered that, with marketers desiring the colors and logos of their products and services to be displayed. Honda's team, since the company acquired ownership of the former British American Racing entry in 2004, had displayed the white-and-red-dominated colors of the Lucky Strike cigarette brand.

What it means to you: Departure of the tobacco brand as a sponsor means the Honda team will have a new look of some sort. Green seems like a good plan.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=118981

·
2,708 Posts
I LOVE everything F1...and Honda.

FYI, the yellow Jordan/Mugens were never officially fully-sponsored by Honda, nor a factory-backed team.

I'm personally dissappionted that Honda is going all green. There should always be a little bit of Championship White in every Honda F1 car, it's been like that since the 1960's (when it was ALL white with a japanese flag). DOPE.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I started watching F1 this past season. My family on my dad's side is Spanish, and my grandfather's always followed it (for decades), but he's in Spain. My dad and I didn't until we got swept up by the Fernando Alonso bandwagon. It helped that the races were now on TV here in th eUS.

But as far as teams ago I want Honda to do well. I've owned more Toyotas (and now a Mazda of course) but I've always liked Honda's history and philosophy a lot. My mom's side is Taiwanese, so I've always liked how they showed an Asian company could achieve things back in the day.

Now that there are so many damn white+red teams, I'm all for Honda going green, especially if it's green on their off-white base color. Their new car will be revealed on Jan. 25, but in their winter livery. Their 2007 livery won't be known until February.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Huge F1 fan here! Ever since I knew what racing was I'd watch (And breath it really) it. How many 6 year olds do you know that cried when Senna was killed? I bleed F1.

And as for the green thing... My dad is the advertising manager for Honda's Alternate Fuel's Department (CNG, Fuel cell, etc...) and he told me that he's working on a small campagin to show off the new paint job. I told him to suggest to some of his buddies that over see the F1 effort that they paint the cars ty-dye and slap a Greatful Dead sticker and a sticker that says "Ass, Grass, or Cash. No body rides for free" on the back of the cars. lol.

·
Registered
600 Posts
i love f1. ive gone to the usgp every freakin year. i wanna be an f1 racer....not likely to happen though lol. btw does anybody have pix of the green hondas?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awesome! nobody i actually know (locally) is into motorsports at all, and the speed channel is almost always on in my house. if not F1, then WRC, SCCA, SM, MotoGP, Ice Racing, whatever is on, i'll watch!

As for the new honda pics, unless there is a leak, i think we're all waiting until Jan 25, the oficial unveiling.

and i'm going with one of my buddies to the Canadian GP this year! Or at least we're still planning it. trying to figure out hotels and all that this weekend. anyone got tips? I've never been to a GP before!

·
Registered
600 Posts
awesome! nobody i actually know (locally) is into motorsports at all, and the speed channel is almost always on in my house. if not F1, then WRC, SCCA, SM, MotoGP, Ice Racing, whatever is on, i'll watch!

As for the new honda pics, unless there is a leak, i think we're all waiting until Jan 25, the oficial unveiling.

and i'm going with one of my buddies to the Canadian GP this year! Or at least we're still planning it. trying to figure out hotels and all that this weekend. anyone got tips? I've never been to a GP before!
some tips: keep your wallet safe, have fun, and dont get anybody who works there pissed off. and youre lucky you dont have to deal with some of the asshole hicks at the usgp. i sat right next to the guy who chucked the water bottle right onto the apex of turn 1 and was ready to kick his ass if i werent surrounded by his friends.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
I'm a F1 fan.
Beats NASCAR like a red headed step-child....woohoo Git R Dun!!!! (no, I don't talk like that in real life...lol)
But yes, I love F1. Great competition, design, and omg, the courses they get to drive....I would kill to drive Monaco.

·
2,708 Posts
^^I don't exactly watch it for the competition anymore. Sorry, but the last real competition was between Senna and Prost, and they were teammates! I just love the machinery.

MotoGp is much more competitive to watch.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Indeed.
I guess competition isn't the right word....its more of a "who can shoot to the first position and flow everyone away the quickest" for me.

·
CR.net Supporter
287 Posts
I miss the days of no pit stops.

Once the flag dropped it was up to the driver to win or lose the race. None of this pit strategy and fuel mileage windows.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I expect good things from Mister Button this year.

Who in SoCal wants to have F1 watching meets whenever the season starts? I've been looking for F1 fanatics to watch it with.
werd! i'm up for it. nobody is ever interested in watching! sometimes i'll stay up on a fri or sat night to catch qualifying or watch the race live.. otherwise, i have to find it on bittorrent (and then there's no qualifying - just race).

really thinking about that tivo..

·
Registered
489 Posts
I expect good things from Mister Button this year.

Who in SoCal wants to have F1 watching meets whenever the season starts? I've been looking for F1 fanatics to watch it with.
I'd be down.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts

Wow your speed channel gets WRC and Ice Racing??

Man, mine sucks. the only thing I watch now is Moto GP.

I get a choice of nascar, cirlce track racing, or unique whips. oh and barret jackson auctions, but the only cars they show are corvettes.

I used to enjoy watching WRC esp. tarmac races, but they only ever put it on at 3 in the morning :(

1 - 20 of 71 Posts