ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original idea was to fabricate a dummy front license plate emblazoned with the Road&Ster logo (vinyl sticker on white background) so that my car looked like it was on a perpetual Road&Ster magazine photoshoot. Then I thought it might be cool to make a similar dummy front plate with the new RoadsterJDM.net logo on it. You could drive around with it all the time if you live in a state that doesn't require a front plate or you could simply use it for car shows or race events where you don't want your license plate to be photographed or simply to show your proud support for the forum.

I'm not quite sure what material to make them out of yet. I was thinking sheet metal powder coated white. Or maybe I could find a plastics supplier that could provide the right size/shape for a decent price. I'm hoping you guys will chime in with suggestions on what plastics might be suitable and techniques for trimming them to the right size while leaving a nice finished edge. I imagine cost would be somewhere around $20 depending on how much materials cost and how much my vinyl guy charges to make a multi-color graphic. Other graphics are possible, too, if someone wanted to advertise something else. I just thought that if I was going through the trouble to do this for myself that I would extend the offer to you guys if there's interest.

Also, I've been planning for a while now to fabricate an offset front license plate bracket similar to the offerings from Cusco and Tuckin99. My design will be specific to fit the NA tie down hooks (aka "baby teeth") and US license plates. I'm not 100% sure but I believe that the US plates have different mounting hole spacing than Japanese plates and that the JDM brackets require modification to fit US plates? Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I read Laguna's DIY bracket (nice write up man, thanks!) but I've got access to a laser cutter and still want to make my own. If there's interest, I could even offer them to the group. Ideally, the price would be somewhere more than $0 but less than $50 which seems to be the going rate for the authentic JDM units. I could offer them in gold zinc plated or powder coated (color your choice but I prefer black since it's easiest for me) depending on price. I could also offer polished stainless steel if willing to pay more to cover additional cost of materials.

At any rate, both the dummy plate and offset bracket would be side projects for me that I would work on only as time permits (work, house, girl, OTM restoration, you know the drill). If there is a large amount of interest in these I could be persuaded to spend more effort to get them done more quickly. Let me know.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
gonna be hard for me to part with my current front license plate & bracket 8) , but im sure others would like a bracket on here for there front tags.

I would like a decal for my corner window, or Rollbar

PhatMiata

M

·
0 Posts
re: offset bracket

I'm planning on fabbing an offset plate bracket for the LHD side that bolts in place of the baby tooth to save weight and look more OEM.

Anyone interested in having me make one for them too?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts