ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my daily driver is starting to get a bit old, a 95 Integra GSR sedan with almost 150k miles. Personally I think this was the greatest daily driver ever; good performance, 4 doors, and very reliable but just a lot of parts starting to get old. I'm thinking about getting a Mazdaspeed3 to replace it.

I was thinking about getting a truck (quad-cab tacoma), but gas prices suck now and I can only imagine what it will be like in 3 or 4 years. When I calculated how much I'd spend per year to fuel a truck vs a car, it was way too much per year.

I think the MS3 will make a great DD. Lots of utility with the hatch + 4 doors. Lots of power. And it looks good, without drawing the attention of something like an Evo or STi. And I already checked with my insurance, and it will only go up $75 per 6 months. My girlfriend has a regular Mazda3, base 2.0 engine, with an automatic, and I like it a lot. I haven't driven an MS3 yet, but I don't doubt I'll like it.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions:
1. If you bought one, how much did you pay? Looking around it seems most people payed around $22.7k (slightly under MSRP)
2. Any major problems? (I know about the door punch security issue, and the stupid heavy wheels)
3. How hard are these to find? I checked with 3 dealers locally, and they all had a couple in stock. But I want a black or red, base sport model. And I don't really want to buy right now, I want to sell my integra first (as trade-in will suck).
________
XS750

·
Registered
339 Posts
yeah, I actually bought one about a month and a half ago.

Sold my 99 turbo miata for it and don't really regret it at all.

1. I paid $25k out the door (tax, tag, reg, etc all incld), not a cent over MSRP and this is for a red GT model without the Nav option but everything else.

2. 0 problems and I've put 5500 miles on it already and don't take it too easy ;)

3. I didn't have a problem finding mine, went down the street to the dealer just to look one day and they happened to have the exact model that I wanted with 8 miles on it. I drove it and decided to get it that day.

you NEED to drive the car. Its wonderful to drive everyday, the power makes in city and highway driving a freakin pleasure with so much torque available and the gear ratios seem perfectly placed.

I love mine, you probably will too.

·
Registered
720 Posts
the gas mileage you will get out of the MS3 is not going to be that much better than a truck

i know its advertised as 20 city and 28 highway but those are optimal conditions

fritch whats your mpg with the car?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah Fritch, I'm curious what mpg you get.

The Tacoma I was looking at was rated at 18/21, and the Frontier is a little worse. But I guess taking into account the premium vs regular its not that much... a little under $20 difference per 500 miles.

And they aren't really apples to apples anyway, the Tacoma is about $4k more, and i'll have more fun with the MS3 anyway.
________
XR50

·
Registered
339 Posts
I get on average 24ish mpg.

Have had as low as 21mpg and as high as 28.5mpg so far and the car has 5500 miles on it now.

The motor mount issue is known, but VERY FEW cars are even effected by it and it takes just a few mins to check to see if you're at risk.

·
Registered
404 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
any experience with the NA version? Im thinking about replacing my wifes accord wagon with one.
Actually, my girlfriend has the the base model sedan. The 2.0 liter and with an automatic. I've driven the car quite a bit, and I like it, which is one reason I'm looking at the MS3. When we were looking back in the fall, she narrowed it down to the mazda3 or a civic sedan. And she really dis-liked the civic, mainly because she said she had a hard time seeing and judging the corners of the car. With the 3 she can jack the seat up REALLY high (so if your wife is short this might be a huge plus, it was for my girlfriend).

The only issue we've had so far, was a ECU calibration issue. She was in stop and go traffic on the highway, and went to hit the gas, while rolling at a very slow speed, and the car just started sputtering and had no power. She happened to be right by the exit for the dealer, and just pulled off. They adjusted (reflashed?) the ECU and that fixed the problem.
________
volcano vaporizer digital

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a 2004 Mazda3 2.3 motor (FOR SALE) and love it. I dont drive it everyday, but it has a little under 28K on it. It is a lot of fun to drive, but it has to go to make room for new projects.

My "other" car is a Dodge Ram 3500 quad-cab dually....anyone what to trade gas bills??!!??

Nothing like a 34 gallon tank. 10-14 mpg (depending on if I am towing or not).

·
Registered
610 Posts
My wife had an 04 Mazda3 Hatch. We put 17x7 5Zigens on it and 225-40/17 Kuhmo's and I'm sad to say but it out handles my Miata.

Added a cold air intake and that was a pretty good little car. A guy tried to change lanes and spun my wife around last Wednesday and the car is totalled. Trying to find a new one now.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned with the motor mounts issue. Just buy some aftermaket mounts and problemed solved. Almost all of the motor mounts that fir the Mazda 3 should fit the Mazdaspeed. Might help thing feel a bit more solid aswell.

·
Registered
588 Posts
"My wife had an 04 Mazda3 Hatch. We put 17x7 5Zigens on it and 225-40/17 Kuhmo's and I'm sad to say but it out handles my Miata."

hmm i dunno bout that one....
:? pretty effiy quote. prove it?!? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
610 Posts
We've done it. I definately have more power than her, but she gets me in the corners. Especially on/off ramps to the interstates. And no, it's not driving ability. :evil:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts