ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about getting a set of konig (did I spell that right) heliums. And the site I have been looking at says that I should get the longer thinner locking lug nuts.

Now, my concern is loosing the key, mostly because I worked at an autoparts store for the last year and a half, And people loose those things all the time.

My questions are,

How do you keep from loosing your key?

Do I really need locking lugs for these wheels?

And Does anybody have any serious complaints about the heliums? I wont be drifing or anything, just street and autocross.

EDIT: before anybody asks, I did search for good ways not to loose keys, on most of the fourms I belong to, along with limited searching about the heliums.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I haven't heard any complaints from friends who have the Konig Heliums so no real worries there. I wouldn't bother with locking lug nuts, especially on those wheels. They're only like $90 a piece. You must balance the cost and probability of someone stealing your wheels with the cost and liklihood that you'll screw yourself because you lost/forgot/broke the key.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
glovebox..... thats where mine is if anyone wants to steal my wheels.....

·
3,857 Posts
I almost lost two keys by leaving them on the wheels and driving off!
So pay extra attention that remove them from the wheels before driving your car...

As for locations to hide them...plenty of them in a miata!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I gather that normal lug nuts will fit. Thank god, because I dont want or need locking lug nuts.

And that they are good wheels.

Thanks guys.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Your oem lug nuts may or may not work. You should ask Brian Goodwin @ Goodwin Racing since he sells lots of Konig Helium wheels. I don't know how large the recess is around the lug bores. You may need to purchase "tuner" lug nuts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good-win-racing was where I planned to buy these wheels. And their website does say...

"Stock lugs are a tight fit and likely to scratch your new wheels!!! Therefore, we strongly recommend a narrow extended length lug such as our spline drive lugs."

And, as long as these wheels wont corrode, Its not going to bother me too terribly much if it gets scratched a little, since its not like its going on my FC or anything.

Ill ask them about the diameter of the holes before I order. That way I can measure the OD of my lug wrench and the sockets I use.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
When I got my "new" Enkei wheels the tire shop installed chrome closed end lug nuts. Unfortunately, the new lug nuts required a 19mm wrench and the OEM lug wrench supplied in the tool kit is 21mm! I've been carrying around a 20" breaker bar with a spare 19mm socket just in case I need to change a flat.

·
Registered
459 Posts
+1 in glove box. most ppl leave it in there so technicians can have easy access to it prior to service. and if you argue the safety of it in your glovebox.consider this: if they are in your car and breaking in to your glove box and such...its probably safe to think that your wheels are not going to the biggest concern, why not take the car if i'm not already in it?

·
Registered
459 Posts
try kyokuken lug nuts. i like the open end style. it leaves you with option in case you need longer wheel studs and eases difficulty reguarding repairs. if i remember correctly, they are also available at superautobacs...its very thin, light and durable. comes with external grabbing style key.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
honestly... if some wanted wheels off you car badly... they'll take it. removing locks... depending the complexity, shouldn't take long.

i could bust the locks of heliums.

·
Now in a White Club
1,232 Posts
I keep mine in a little box with extra lug nuts (for the spare) and the stock shift knob (incase someone wants a chrome one from my interior) and that little box stays in the spare tire with an extra jacket and a towel.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I leave the key with the OEM lug wrench. in the little cloth pouch in the trunk.

wasn't there a thread on m.net about cracking heliums? food for thought.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just keep my keys in the Glove box.

I have Volk TE37s and Panasports, I do keep thinking I ought to opt for a more secure option, but never get round to it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts