ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Runabout mirrors that come original chrome. I want to powdercoat them black. Has anyone tried to powdercoat them? Or even taken them apart?

·
3,542 Posts
Another option is to sell the Runabouts and get the Zoom CF mirrors...

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
It can be done but why? Powder coating them black will detract from what makes them so highly valued in my opinion, namely their polished stainless steel bling housings and chrome bases. Now they'll just look like any other $25 black generic racing mirror. The only time I've seen this done before was with old Runabouts that looked like they'd never been cleaned in 10 years and were all dented up and crusty. The owner in Japan painted them black and it was an improvement since they were basically scrap beforehand. I guess I can sorta understand given the direct fit bases and how some people really don't dig the brightwork but it seems like a big downer to me. You could save yourself lots of $ by selling the Runabouts and buying less expensive, similar loooking black mirrors from Pegasus. I hope they turn out as nice as you imagine they will.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
^^^That's how one should post when disagreeing with someone's choice(s).

He asked a question, provided an opinion, offered an alternative, and then wished him well with whatever he chose to do.

Thanks, Kyle!

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It can be done but why? Powder coating them black will detract from what makes them so highly valued in my opinion, namely their polished stainless steel bling housings and chrome bases. Now they'll just look like any other $25 black generic racing mirror. The only time I've seen this done before was with old Runabouts that looked like they'd never been cleaned in 10 years and were all dented up and crusty. The owner in Japan painted them black and it was an improvement since they were basically scrap beforehand. I guess I can sorta understand given the direct fit bases and how some people really don't dig the brightwork but it seems like a big downer to me. You could save yourself lots of $ by selling the Runabouts and buying less expensive, similar loooking black mirrors from Pegasus. I hope they turn out as nice as you imagine they will.
It is just something I am thinking about. I do contemplate back and forth because I can agree that one should keep its originality: jdm. Two, I really want to see how it would look powdercoated black. Does anyone have pix of these Runabout mirrors in black?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
OneSimpleRoadster said:
Does anyone have pix of these Runabout mirrors in black?
Probably. I really need to add some tags so I can find stuff. It's just too hard to find anything anymore. They all just say "Mazda" because I was too lazy when I uploaded them.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
4,436 Posts
Just a word of slight warning - when you PC something where you will obviously need to reassemble it back into its whole (not hole per se), you will create some mil of thickness in the parts that mate up - unless you really spend the time to tape off the items, etc. I used to hang with a PC'r who used to do bike parts all the time and this was a big issue on mirrors, etc.

I would recommend having them anodized in black/black chrome.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I could mask off any mating surfaces that you would need, that is not a problem. i also always mask tapped holes so that paint does not fill those.
Just let me know if you decide to go that route or if I can help you in any other way.
PC'ing does add thickness to the part and for that reason it is much more durable than spray finishes. It is paint however, so it is susceptible to the same scratching and scarring possibilities as spray paint, you just won't get down to the metal finish as easily or quickly.
Currently my shop is in Morristown Tennessee and will soon be relocating to Erwin Tennessee ( September)

Dan

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a word of slight warning - when you PC something where you will obviously need to reassemble it back into its whole (not hole per se), you will create some mil of thickness in the parts that mate up - unless you really spend the time to tape off the items, etc. I used to hang with a PC'r who used to do bike parts all the time and this was a big issue on mirrors, etc.

I would recommend having them anodized in black/black chrome.
I was thinking about that last night when I revisited this post. Anodizing in black chrome is a real good suggestion. Looking at the Runabout's up close, there really isn't much play between the base and the stand of the mirror. Powdercoating is not a good idea. And masking it off for powdercoating purposes would leave a shiny chrome underneath which I will not be satisfied with. So time to research more on anodizing this part...thanks Peter for the suggestion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts