ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do they fit? and how much lower do they get you? I really like those seats but I NEED headroom. At least enough headroom to clear a helmet under the roll bar I don't have yet.
BTW I'm a short legged 6"2" (tall torso)

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
You can fit most anything into these cars if you are willing to massage the trans tunnel. And by massage I mean sledge hammer and meaty fists.

To get low you will need to mount the seat up with your own brackets/handiwork and experiment with seat padding arrangements. To get even lower look up about cutting the factory floor seat mounting positions out and bolting the seat directly to the floor board of the cockpit.

In my experience autocross' here in the NW don't pay too much attention to the broomstick tests. Track days.. only marginally more so. Keep that soft top up and suck it in if they do ask. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can fit most anything into these cars if you are willing to massage the trans tunnel. And by massage I mean sledge hammer and meaty fists.

To get low you will need to mount the seat up with your own brackets/handiwork and experiment with seat padding arrangements. To get even lower look up about cutting the factory floor seat mounting positions out and bolting the seat directly to the floor board of the cockpit.

In my experience autocross' here in the NW don't pay too much attention to the broomstick tests. Track days.. only marginally more so. Keep that soft top up and suck it in if they do ask. ;)
The event that I'm worried about is Hill Climbs and the tech inspections for those are usually pretty thorough.

I'm still hoping someone has the Momo I want in their car for a review on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My other choice is is the Ultra Shield Rally Pro, I know that seat will do everything I want but the Momo is just plain cool. and either way I go I'll get 3 and put the swivel base from my desk chair under 1

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Ah gotcha. Hillclimb.. yeah I can see that being an issue. Go for the tallest rollbar you can get your hands on. Be it custom or Autopower race bar or HDHC and do the necessary mods to get your seat low. To be honest.. it's literally impossible to pass a broomstick test in a Miata if it is being conducted in the PROPER manner.

That is NOT roll bar to top of windshield frame.
It IS roll bar to the highest structural point on the car (essentially the front of the dashboard pointing towards the shock towers)

I'm short. Tall bar. SPG Profi seat on custom mounts. It's not passable when performing the test the way it's intended to be. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just get yourself as low as feasibly possible and attend events. You won't get too much grief.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts