ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked it up on miata.net and other random car sites and found it to be somewhat simple-looking. The only problem is I have never replaced struts before so for my first time I would like to have someone at least help guide me through the process. It may sound like a lot, but if anyone is willing to help just post here or PM me. I suppose if someone helps I could make it worth their time. I could take you to a nice restaurant? :p

M

·
0 Posts
I've looked it up on miata.net and other random car sites and found it to be somewhat simple-looking. The only problem is I have never replaced struts before so for my first time I would like to have someone at least help guide me through the process. It may sound like a lot, but if anyone is willing to help just post here or PM me. I suppose if someone helps I could make it worth their time. I could take you to a nice restaurant? :p
Host a mini Tech Day on Saturday!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Host a mini Tech Day on Saturday!
I totally would, but I think a birthday party is already going on here, and my coilovers won't be here until another week or so.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
its super easy:

1. with the car on the ground, disconnect your sway bars.
2. unbolt the upper mounts from in the trunk and under the hood.
3. put your car on jack stands and remove your wheels.
4. unbolt the bottom of the coilover (1 bolt in the bottom of your a-arm)
5. you'll probably need to step on the brake rotor to force the a-arms low enough to remove the strut/spring combo.
6. if your coilovers include uppermounts, you should be set. just reverse #5-1. If you need the uppermounts from your stock set up, you'll need a spring compressor or you'll risk shooting the uppermount across the garage.
7. Make sure you adjust your coilovers to be the same hieght before you install them. That way it will atleast be even side to side before you get the car corner balanced.

Its a piece of cake.
Matt

·
Registered
405 Posts
Brian, its real easy. This was the first thing I ever did to my miata. Give me a call if you need help with the install. Ill pm you my #.

·
2,708 Posts
The hardest part is the "tongue" that needs to be lined up with the lower A arm. PITA the first time I did that, but when I put my Teins on, I got lucky TWICE and the bolt lined up without a flathead screwdriver. I went out and bought a Lottery ticket. Didn't win.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just did it for my first time solo last night. I did the rears after work. the first one took a while because I just started doing it. The second was a breeze Probably took less than an hour. The top bolts suck on the drivers side in the rear.

it is very simple though. I did it with no instruction.

Good luck, oh and def get spring compressor if removing the top. I think Matt forgot to mention it will shoot across the room after it splits you open ;)

-Jeff

·
Registered
47 Posts
I always had trouble with the front's. I think the stock coils are big and hard to get it off and i needed a second person to step on the arms to shimmy out the coils. Your teins should be small and slip right in easy.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet. Yeah, a lot of people seem to have trouble with the front from what I can tell. Oh well, you do what you gotta do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts