ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever replace a clutch on their Miata? I need to have mine replaced ASAP if someone could possibly help. My clutch decided to crap out on me during the last run at the drift event at the balcony this past sunday. I'm stuck driving around my mom's Camry; please don't make me suffer like this. :shock:

I have the replacement clutch I just need some assistance since I have never replaced a clutch before. Yeah, I'm a n00b. :x

·
Speed Tribe OG Member
4,628 Posts
Hey Brian,
Thats a big job with out a lift. Love to help you but it would take me too long and I don't have that kind of time.

What clutch/pressure plate are going to replace it with? Are you also changing the flywheel?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's this Vietnamese place off Bolsa near the Asian Garden Mall called Lyby's Auto. The do clutches for $120 --cheap!
Hey, Linh. Glad to hear you got your car back in good shape. =D>

So, is this place reputable? Have you taken your car to them for a clutch job before? I called Hiro's and they told me it'd cost about $400, so $120 would definitely swing with me.

Fred - I just got an OEM 1.6 replacement. I'll probably get a lightweight flywheel if I can swing the price... if not, I'll just have my OEM one resurfaced.

·
Registered
976 Posts
damn 120- is good i'd jump on that..

did a clutch job once and i'm with Tam on this

replace your slave cyl while you're at it and clutch line wouldn't be a bad idea

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn 120- is good i'd jump on that..

did a clutch job once and i'm with Tam on this

replace your slave cyl while you're at it and clutch line wouldn't be a bad idea
Thanks, Andrew, I'll make sure to get the slave cylinder... I have a feeling mine is leaking a bit anyways... :x

P.S. Maddox is the funny

·
Registered
976 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
Hey, Linh. Glad to hear you got your car back in good shape. =D>

So, is this place reputable? Have you taken your car to them for a clutch job before? I called Hiro's and they told me it'd cost about $400, so $120 would definitely swing with me.

Fred - I just got an OEM 1.6 replacement. I'll probably get a lightweight flywheel if I can swing the price... if not, I'll just have my OEM one resurfaced.
They did a pretty shotty job on my super extreme racing stage 2 clutch, but everyone else i know that has gone there with OEM replacements have had nothing but good jobs.

I would recommend them for OEM only.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dayam, the owner must paying it's mechanics with coupons to Lee's Sandwiches. Thats soooo cheap.
rofl. Don't hate on Lee's! That place is fuckin awesome! Vege sammich ftmfw!

edit - Thanks for the info. I will probably take it to them later on this week. Do they require appointments?

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
Martin went to Lyby's auto for the clutch job on his FC. Another guy, James with a Soarer did the same for his s14, and plenty of other guys. Mostly OEM replacements though. I drove both cars mentioned and no clutch problems like mine.

If you have a clutch like mine, take it to a speciality tuning shop. Like the Jackson Racing shop on Westminster Blvd.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Martin went to Lyby's auto for the clutch job on his FC. Another guy, James with a Soarer did the same for his s14, and plenty of other guys. Mostly OEM replacements though. I drove both cars mentioned and no clutch problems like mine.

If you have a clutch like mine, take it to a speciality tuning shop. Like the Jackson Racing shop on Westminster Blvd.
MB motoring, right? Next to Goldenwest?

·
Registered
720 Posts
dang thats cheap you guys are getting good deals
ive called only two shops so far up in northern california and both want around 400

1 - 20 of 32 Posts