ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting the Ace or M2 Sport Hard dog roll bar but would like to see them in person some how...

I will probably need help too when it comes time to install.

Thanks... Benny

·
Registered
858 Posts
One weekend.. two dumb 18 year olds.. one installed rollbar. Do it with a friend, look up tutorials from m.net, they have some good ones with pics. Shops charge too much to do it. Measure twice, cut once. The clearance for the rear mounts suck though.

And from one Ben to another..

Good luck, good sir.

-Ben

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
i have an ace on my NB, took me about 9 hours with standard poor man power tools and wrenching, then 3 hours to fix the shitty job of cutting i did previously with those tools

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've done it twice... M2 Sport no Diags and the one in my car M2 Sport Double Diags. With that being said the second time with the template we made on the first car it was alot easier to do only took about 2 hrs vs the 8 hrs it took the first time.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My first time: 10 hours
My second time: 6 hours.

^Both were Boss Frog Twin Hoops. It may take you a long ass mother fuckin' time, but it's not worth paying someone else to do it, unless it's me. In which case it's about the best idea ever.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,085 Posts
I installed my hard dog ace by myself, 13 hours non stop. My advice? Its a two man job, otherwise stay away from the Ace. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I put mine in and it took me about 6 hours. It had door bars welded onto it. Had I only been installing the roll bar, it would have been about a 3 hour job. It really is not that difficult.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, as a Hard Dog Dealer, I've installed about 65 of them :mrgreen: Just did another one last weekend and it took 3.5hrs, cause i was BSing so much with the owner...LOL!!! Once you do your first one, it's easier. It's not rocket science, but it does take some common sense. the hardest part is when you get the bar into place, and you have to bolt in the main upright bar to the seat belt retractors. Not too much room and it just takes time. Some are easier than others, and I suspect the newer the vintage Miata, the easier as the chassis has had less "obuse" so chassis deformaty is less. Cutting the rear package tray area is easy. All you need to do is mark a 3" x 6.5" (Why so long of a slot? The longer the slot the easier it'll be to drill the holes for the rear braces) cut out and use compound tin snips, cuts like a hot knife through butter. Secure the top of the bar using the big bolts that goes though the seat belt tower (Do not forget to put the spacers in the top of the tower before bolting things down). Once you get the bar in place, drill the front 6 holes (3 on each side) first. Then bolt the backing plates on and tighten them down. Now you can use the angle drill with 18" bit to dril (2 on each side) the rear brace holes. Put the bolts through, then put the backing plate on and tighten those bolts. Now from underneathe, using the bolted on backing plate as a guide. Drill the last 2 (1 on each side) holes. Put the bolts in and tighten. AND...the biggest tip that'll make the install go easy are TOOLS!!! Here's my short list;

1.> Angle Drill & Regular Drill
2.> 18" 3/8" Drill Bit
3.> Carpet Button Removal Tool (worth it's weight in gold!!!)
4.> 5/8", 9/16", 17mm Sockets & wrenches (shallow & deep), 3/8" & 1/2" Ratchets
5.> Dremmel Tool with Cutting Discs (for cutting the ECU bracket on N/A's)

Oh... and don't forget to locate your wheel locks if you have them, ya gotta take the rear wheels and fender liners off to be able to drill the mounting holes. Can't tell ya how many customers have forgotten their wheel locks resulting in them buying me a new socket...LOL!!!

BTW...I wrote one of those m.net installations :mrgreen:

Good Luck with the install...take your time, take lots of breaks...be patient... For reference, I charge $275.00 for Non-ABS Miatas and $300.00 for ABS Miatas . ABS miatas require cutting of the rear mounting plate so that it will fit over the ABS wire plug... that is why it's more. The plate that needs to be cut is 1/4" steel.... PITA!!!

tach9

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow thanks guys.. I just have to set aside a day to work on it then.

Thanks Tach9 for the tool advice, I'll make sure I have those before I start my install. Is it possible to cut the rear package tray with a metal shearer?

How come the ACE sounds much harder to install than the M2 Sport? I thought it would be the other way around?

Anyway, it would be great to meet all of you guys one day, never been to a miata meet...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
My first time: 10 hours
My second time: 6 hours.

^Both were Boss Frog Twin Hoops. It may take you a long ass mother fuckin' time, but it's not worth paying someone else to do it, unless it's me. In which case it's about the best idea ever.

10 hours was my bar. i was there.

6 hours was ted7's bar. i was there.

dont get a fucking boss frog twin hoop

·
Registered
172 Posts
if you do it during a weekend, I might be in SGV and can help you out.
I don't know which roll bar i have but it might be the Hard dog sports with dual diagonals + harness bar. I will be at SGV this weekend if you want to check my bar out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
wow thanks guys.. I just have to set aside a day to work on it then.

Thanks Tach9 for the tool advice, I'll make sure I have those before I start my install. Is it possible to cut the rear package tray with a metal shearer?

* You could use the Shears, but you'd have to have the strength of Superman to do it :mrgreen: Using compund shears makes the cutting really easy. You could also use a Dremmel Tool with cutting discs, but it'll take you a few discs and more time. Really using the compound shears takes about 5 minutes to do the job...Good Luck on the install!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts