ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone into making their real panel different colors? i just picked up a dented trunk lid and a broken rear panel for 100 dollars and i already patched up both of them. But i was thinking of painting the rear panel white. I have a black 96 miata and i wonder if white was a good choice or stick with black?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have a red one and shaved the emblems and painted it black.

If I had a black yata i would paint the rear panel flouresent pink or like a baby blue. With sparkles. =)

That would be donkin!!!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice pic! i have a car alarm and i was thinking of filling up my trunk key hole and get myself a powered trunk release. And i was thinking of doing something along the lines like CE28's trunk where it looks black but splattered white lines, sort of like a junkyard style. =)

·
Registered
206 Posts
nice pic! i have a car alarm and i was thinking of filling up my trunk key hole and get myself a powered trunk release. And i was thinking of doing something along the lines like CE28's trunk where it looks black but splattered white lines, sort of like a junkyard style. =)
I will take pics of my aluminum panel later today or tomorrow when I can get a camera.

As for the trunk release, I got another cable and latch assembly for a fuel door and adapted on to the rod that goes from the key lock to the latch that opens the trunk compartment. I drilled a hole in the sheet metal near the key lock and mounted the cable bracket. Then I dismantled the assembly that goes on the fuel door and used only the little block that attaches to the ball on the end of the cable. I simply used a hose clamp to secure it to the trunk release rod. Make sure that there is no binding or slack in the cable when you clamp it. Run the cable thru the same holes and slots that the antenna wire takes from the battery area to the console. Then I mounted the other end ( the lever mechanism) replacing the exact same thing that normally goes to the fuel door release in the glove box. I remounted the lever mechanism that goes to the fuel door behind the seat. I did this so that if you lock the glove box door, your trunk will still be secure if your soft top is down. It looks trick and you should not have to worry about locking your keys in the trunk anymore. Even if your battery is dead, you can still access the battery in the trunk without using your key. This is better than an electric solenoid which will not work if your battery is dead.

If you guys want, I can do a write up complete with pictures.

·
Registered
96 Posts
check out the hoodride website, you'll see a lot of vdubs with the same style

·
Registered
514 Posts
Check out boogie van's car... its white with black rear panel. Saw it in person the other day. Doesnt look bad. I kinda like it. Not for me but i like it.

-jeremy

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think it looks great on the right kind of car.

Boogie's car looks awesome cause the whole car is consistent.

There's no crazy bling with flat black rims, it all fits together for purpose.

PS: If he reads this I need to try his deep dish steering wheel!

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you want a black rear panel, at least make it look like you meant to do it, not like you got rear-ended and put a black one on 'cause you can't afford to have it painted:

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts