ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after the shift adventures of last week, I got a new shifter today. Threw a stocker in there for now until I decide what SSK to buy to replace my simpson.

I can't get into 1, 3, or 5. 2, 4, and R are right where they belong though so that's reassuring. My guess is that the bottom bushing I was missing fell behind the coupler in the turret, so now when I try and shift into the top gears, the bushing limits rearward travel.

I can't feel anything back there, but it's a very obstructed area and i'm not that flexible.

Sounds like I need to pull the area around the turret and see what I can get to. Anyone know how to dissassemble this area w/o dropping the transmission? I don't want to just start pulling bolts for nothing.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to... but pics of what? all I can see is the normal turret area. :) If theres a bushing in the turret, I can't SEE it, only theorize if it's there. :)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah. when i pulled out the old Simpson, the bushing on the bottom was gone. When i installed the new (used) shifter, it had a bushing, everything went into place properly, I just can't shift. The original bushing isn't accounted for, but I can properly install the new one.

... and yes, I already drained the fluid.

M

·
0 Posts
Not to insult your intelligence, but is there any chance that you're mixing 5-speed and 6-speed shifters?

M

·
0 Posts
bill where did you get the mazdaspeed aluminum bushing?
I sell MMD parts.

:mrgreen:

These bushings are $15 shipped.

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&id=3100

ANYWAY...

Back to the thread.

You only would have been able to lift the shifter out if it was in the vertical position. In that position, the "block" at the end of the actuator rod would have to be centered in the "cup" so there's no space behind it for the old bushing to have fallen in aft of the "block."

I'm stumped.

:-k

Anyone else?

I have an old trans buried in the back of my garage that I can look at tomorrow morning to try to recreate what you might have done, if you're still looking for help tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not insulted, no worries. Nope not mixing shifters.

I had to drive 50+ miles with the shifter going any which way it wanted, whenever it wanted to, trying to find gears whenever I needed to. Everything was all out of position trying to find gears, so i think it's entirely likely things went everywhere with no upper portion of the turret to hold things in place.

M

·
0 Posts
Perhaps this diagram will help somehow. I highlighted the two plastic bushings:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a simpson shifter. It had a delrin ball, no -152 insert. -462 is the one I think is wedged in wierd.

the new shifter has the 152 and the 462.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts