ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pull my fenders (rolled isn't enough) and I don't want to spend $250-300 on a fender roller just yet.

I can bring a case of beer to do it on site or a deposit to do the pulling off-site. I'd be willing to pay a fee for the use of your tool as well. :cool:

·
Registered
531 Posts
rent one from vato-zone and diy

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never heard autozone referred to as vatozone haha.

After looking on their website it doesn't look like they have them..? I can call them when they open tomorrow though. Definitely want to diy, I think it is a fun challenge.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've never heard autozone referred to as vatozone haha.

After looking on their website it doesn't look like they have them..? I can call them when they open tomorrow though. Definitely want to diy, I think it is a fun challenge.
Go tot the store and ask about renting tools, they should have one. GL

·
Registered
531 Posts
make sure to read up on the many diy fender rolling information on the net. probably the biggest advice i can give you is to use a heat gun, if you like your paint... if not have at it lmao!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I called them and they didn't even know what it was. After explaining to them what it did they asked another person (manager I'm assuming) and suggested I check a hardware store for metalworking tools lol. Seems like they're really on top of their market..

I've been reading around and experimented a bit with other methods - just for the rolling, haven't tried a pull yet. First thing I bought was a heat gun, although my paint is pretty bad, especially around the fenders (read: attempted rust repair) and I have something planned in the next 6 months or so for the paint so it won't be a catastrophe if it cracks. I think it is a good car to learn on since I won't be ruining something super clean if I mess it up.

I may try intec racing. They don't have the best reputation, but I guess that won't matter much if I'm just renting a tool from them. At least they should know what I'm asking about haha.

EDIT- In case someone is searching this later. Intec has an eastwood fender roller for rent. It is $250 down, $50 a day. They just moved too, they are up on 104th near Target in Kent. I wish I knew that before going to their old location haha.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you get your fenders rolled? How did it turn out? Do you have any pictures? What wheels and tires do you have on the car?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled them. I have 13x9 et0, and 185/70 tires

I got too aggressive with the front right (first one) so it looked like crap, both my rears are rusty so they didn't turn out well either, but better than my first one. Driver side front looked alright, but still rubs. Granted, I lowered the car about another inch at the same time, so maybe I would have had clearance at my original height before pulling.

I don't have any pictures on hand but I can try to get some up here. Honestly I had a better result using a phone book. Probably because I was too impatient and inexperienced with the tool. I think the advantage to using a phone book is you have 11inches or so of contact, so you're more likely to get a uniform movement, where as with the roller you have maybe 1/8inch of contact and it flexes further than it will actually stay wherever the roller is, that's where the skill comes in. I am replacing my first fender due to some unrelated damage tomorrow morning, and will have to roll/pull that one as well. I'm going to use a phone book.

If you want a perfect roll/pull the first time get someone else to do it if you've never done it before. That would be my advice :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This is the best picture I have of the worst fender. I took it right after that big dent happened, so that was the focus but you can still see how wavy the pull was.

That's from today, rolled/pulled with a phonebook and soft hammer. Doesn't rub at all, even full lock. The paint (primer) is just how it was before the roll/pull.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Levi B would you be interested in helping me roll/pull my fenders soon? I have my new wheel tire setup on the way. Plus we are like 10 minutes from each other it would be cool to have someone to roll around with and get help with stuff.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd be willing to be there and give pointers. I don't want to do it physically just because I don't want someone else's car to have fenders like the first one I pictured lol, especially if it were my fault.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you can't live with imperfections in your fenders I'd highly suggest getting it done professionally. That's your best bet (by far) of getting it done right the first time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am like you.. a little impatient as you can see my thoughts have taken a roller coaster ride. right now I just want my stuff to fit. i have no plans on every making it a show car.. worst comes to worst ill setup some willies jeep style fenders on that pig and get it going. haha yeah i just want it done are you free tomorrow? well i guess today? I have a bunch of free time im going to be doing an oil change and possibly washing it i would love to barrow your tools (heat gun, phone book, jack) and of course your wonderful DIY mindset with a few helpful hints thrown in hah. just let me know

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just have a couple of errands to run. I'll pm you my number, call/text me when you get it. Most of my errands can be done at any time so I'll likely be able to head over quickly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts