ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats good whats not?

ive heard of some NA owners using R1 racing setups with good results

any info on how to set these up properly / what to watch for / problems?

i'm *considering* these with R package bilsteins but am also considering a ground control setup or just plain springs. thanks for reading

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Redsnake has them on his 95R and his 89 track toy with R Bilsteins, I`ve driven the R on the track and its amaziing...who woulda thought they`d be that good.

I personally have a set of ebay coilovers mounted on some Hard S Bilsteins (not HD). I wouldn`t mount these coilovers on anything but Bislteins. I tried on them on KYB AGX and it was crap. Get a set of FCM NB tompmounts and bumpstops and bang for buck its an awesome setup for the track and the streets. The limiting factor is you won`t be able to slam the car, 12.25 is about max you`d go with the Nb topmounts.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
i used to that these exact perches /w those springs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA-MIATA-90-98-COILOVER-LOWERING-SPRINGS-97-95-93_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33582QQhashZitem250070359660QQihZ015QQitemZ250070359660QQrdZ1

it was horrible.....i didn't know the spring rate, but omg the ride was like i was on rocks. i had the konis one full soft and i would b riding bumpstops all the time. then i tried them on full stiff and it got a little better. i can totally vouch for the perches being nice but the springs are a different story....

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
slevin i don't think those are the r1 springs. the r1s are the purple ones with red anodized perches :)

90_mx.. are the NB top mounts the same as the FCM 46mm mounts? if not is one preferred over the other? and are the mounts required on all 4 corners?

so 12.25... thats about a 1.25 inch drop? seems good to me :D

any notes on installation or is it pretty straightforward? also, what sways would match well with this setup?

ohh and i can't find the R1 springs for NA.. they're for NB.. are these NB ones what I use?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Ya those are the same FCM topmounts w/ 46mm bumstops..they are a must have.

Its a pretty straight forward installation, the sleeves fit perfectly over the Bilsteins...mount it so that the settings screws of the coilover sleeves are on top.

The NA and NB coilovers are one and the same.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mike? lol

just realized, is that you? this is alex from kinod and bill's mini tech day haha.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you're nervous about the quality of the springs I heard that you can swap another spring in its place and just use the sleeves. (like the eibach's that ground control's use) I guess it's cheaper than actually buying the GC.
Anyone know more about that or have experience?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
you sure can! but eibachs are expensive and if your gonna change it, might as well go with a complete GC kit for a few bucks more.

·
Registered
199 Posts
^^ True that. I'm goin for GC's seeing as I've heard of spring irregularities with the ebay's. The R-1's are supposed to have less probs though, and better fitment than others.
I was contemplating the R-1's before though too, but scratched that idea.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It doesn`t require it if your not going to lower the car more than 1".

The problem with lowering the 90-97 miatas with just springs is you lose suspenion travel specially in the rear.

If you want mild lowering like 3/4" just get the FCM topmounts.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i measure from top of fenderwall to middle of center hub right ? :mrgreen: so ~1 to 1.25 inch drop for u

·
Registered
713 Posts
^^ True that. I'm goin for GC's seeing as I've heard of spring irregularities with the ebay's. The R-1's are supposed to have less probs though, and better fitment than others.
I was contemplating the R-1's before though too, but scratched that idea.
Has anyone ever tryed ebay coil sleeves on tokico blues,tokico illuminas? or any other shock? besides bilst,and kyb's?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts