ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone installed DDMWorks' 3 gauge surround with DIN aftermarket stereo unit?

I like to see some photos or any problems installing the stereo to the unit. I have Kenwood motorized front panel stereo and according to their instructions, it will not install to their surround from the back. The stereo is too wide to go all the way. Either I have to modify the stereo (grind metal of the stereo) or modify the surround.

The install is without the mounting sleeve that comes with DIN stereo.

Let me know if anyone else had problems.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just recently recieved my DDMWORKS "blank" radio surround,I have a Alpine motorized flip down face and it clears the DDM piece with no problems.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have one that I use with my Pioneer AVH-P6600DVD head unit. No problems at all. I did not use the sleeve to mount the unit and I attached the unit directly to the surround brackets.
Have you gotten the surround yet? If so, have you test-fitted it?

·
Registered
373 Posts
The only thing I had to do was add 2 extra bolts(the kit came with only 2)to secure the radio to the radio panel more securely.Other than that,it's a really nice looking and well made piece.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have the 2-gauge version, so I figure this would still apply....

I had to trim about 1/32" (maybe less) from the sides of the panel to get my Panasonic radio to fit well. A few passes with the dremel, and all was good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have one that I use with my Pioneer AVH-P6600DVD head unit. No problems at all. I did not use the sleeve to mount the unit and I attached the unit directly to the surround brackets.
Have you gotten the surround yet? If so, have you test-fitted it?

I have the surround and I did test fitted it and it did not want to go in. I had to shave like 2mm of my Kenwood headunit and fits now. However, since it's a motorized face plate, once installed to the DDM surround, you can see a gap around the faceplate. You cannot install the Kenwood trim to hide the gap. I am going to modify the surround too so that the headunit comes out for me to install the trim.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
No, that's different. That's just a panel for the gauges. The DDMWorks piece is a complete radio and gauge mount.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well...I didn't want to modify the DDM piece so I tried another stereo I had, fit perfectly. So I am going to use that instead.

DDM surround is very good, high quality. Worth every penny. Plus its very strong and stealing the stereo out of this unit will take some time not like the bezel mounted guage unit with bezel mounted stereo.

·
Kicked off the island..
3,062 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Hi,

I have the 2-gauge sourround from DDM with my Pioneer DEH-P77MP - no problems, front-panel has a slightly gap about 0.1mm around it:

That one's nice...(the radio/vent/HVAC panel) Where did you get it?

Mine has a crack and I know eventually I will want to replace it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts