ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
This is a long user title
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My muffler has an hole in it and I'd like to change it, I don't know what to choose.

I'm looking between a magnaflow or borla but I don't know how they will sound (I have no cat). I'm looking for the quieter one (when not accelerating) because cops hates them here. I want something that sounds good.

Any ideas ?

I'm on a budget too, that's why I don't buy a cat back. <200$ is my budget

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, my exhaust just split a week ago at the flange that connects the midpipe to the muffler. If your budget is less than $200, I think the borla exhaust is out of the picture. Good win says that the Borla is about 50% louder than stock but it doesn't really sound too loud to me. If you want something quiet and somewhat cheaper, check out the RB power pulse exhaust.

·
CR.net Supporter
555 Posts
I'm currently running a Ansa muffler from R-Speed on my shop car. For just over $100 it's much lighter and has a sweet exhaust note. Nice tip as well.. You'll have to cut off the end section of your factory exhaust and slip the new exhaust in place. Holds with exhaust clamp. It also holds in place with original rubber hangers.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,622 Posts
If you want something quiet and somewhat cheaper, check out the RB power pulse exhaust.
That's way out of his budget, and it's also a full catback.

No matter what, you need to factor in the cost of piping (preferably mandrel bent) in with your muffler. You'll probably want a resonator, too. It adds up!

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
You can get a universal Dynomax or Magnaflow for anywhere from $50-$100 but you'll have to pay someone to weld it on for you if you don't have the skill or equipment. The ANSA is an easy DIY option. You hack your old muffler off and slip the ANSA on and secure it with clamps.

NA

NB

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would go to the local muffler shop and get a uber long resonator to reduce rasp. Then i would get a Buddy Club replica tilted at a slight angle. That would total you at about $150-$200. Well that is at least what i'm going to do for christmas.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a Magnaflow from Verocious Motorsport that was custom welded. But it's also attached to a turbo so the sound is kind of like stock, but a little more hairy chested.

·
This is a long user title
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone got sound clips of ANSA ?

Ans is a universal Magnaflow sounding nice (I like the stocker but I prefer more growl)

Thanks everyone !

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Depends on what you think "nice" sounds like. The best sounding exhaust note is highly subjective. Many of us have tried out multiple exhaust systems over the years trying to find the "right" one kind of like Goldielocks and the Three Bears. The fact that you've imposed such a strict budget limits your choices even further (beggers can't be choosers). Without more information from you such as what make/model/model year car you drive and what kind of sound/look/theme you're going for it's hard for us to offer you anything in particular other than state everything that is available in your stated price range. Not to say you can't create an exhaust that you like for <$200. There are a number of people who prefer to build their own systems for cheap and/or to suit their sound preference. It can be done. Unfortunately there is no comprehensive database of exhaust video/sound clips for the Roadster. My advice would be to find other Roadsters owners who live in your area (wherever that is?) so you can have a listen to what they've done and determine for yourself what sound you like best.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Heres a different cheap option you could use a hooker maximum flow universal muffler its strait thru with different pipe dia and the box claims 85 db with a ford 302 engine i think and legal limit is 95 in CA. I used it on my s13 KA as a resonator and a strait pipe s13 sr20det none of them were too loud and had a nice tone. only thing is you need the custom welding and a muf tip. If you get stopped show the box side that says its a 85 db muff. I likem and have bought 2 of them and there only $50 or $60 and comes all black. Findem on ebay

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had a Magnaflow muffler on my old 93 Celica, (which my brother now drives) and yes it was only the muffler nothing else modded on the car, just the straight muffler. I'll get pics and possibly a video clip of it tonight when i get home. Had a very nice tone to it, not ricer at all when you accelerate you hear it from within the car but outside the car it is not loud at all. GL with ur purchase. BTW I paid $100 for the muffler and install with flanges at my muffler shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts