ClubRoadster.net banner

Anyone with painted wheels??

3K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  ultimateforce 
#1 ·
Anyone with DIY painted wheels or you painted your wheels for custom color..etc??? I want gold, like Advan, but i don't really want that low quality duplicolor stuff that doesn't really stick and plus they don't have yellowish/gold. Anyone know the Advan gold color paint code or any good lookin gold paint codes i can use on my wheels? thanx..

#2 ·
uhh....that duplicolor stuff works. you just have to take your time and prep the wheels for paint properly. but yes they dont have gold.

Hell I rattle canned my vans wheels with some black rustoelum and they are holding up fairly well with minimal prep after 2 years. I have some chips around the edges of the rims because I have to keep kicking the trim rings on from time to time, but the center of the wheels look money.

I think thats why when people paint the wheels they go with the polished or unpainted lip. Its much easier to mask off the edge of the wheel instead of trying to paint the rim right where it meets the tire.

#7 ·
umm, i used duplicolor paint for wheels too. they should hold up fine if using high temp paint. chipping is usually from the heat the wheel sees from the brakes if using cheaper paint.

i've yet to see if VHT is a better brand. fwdtamiya advices that brand fights corrosion and chemicals better. and imo, the results and longivity has very much to do with how much time and effort you can spare into prepping the wheels for paint.

painting wheels should not run more than $20. not the most attractive alternative to powder coating...but simply just cheaper. want color on your wheels forever? color that won't fall off due to chemical damage? then go with powder coating...you get what you paid for.

#19 ·
by prep you guys just mean clean and sand? how do you sand the wheels with all those nooks n crannies?
No sanding really. If we are talking factory daisy's, these are already painted. So you have a couple options one is to thoroughly clean the wheels and ensure they are degreased. If you have done that you are ready to just paint over them. You could also use a paint striper to remove the existing paint on the rims to expose the metal. Then I would suggest a self etching primer base coat and then paint what you want. In both cases a couple coats of clear as a final step will help keep your hard works protected better.

#22 ·
Heres what mine turned out like. Holding up good. Suites the green well I think.

Shame about the gap between the wheels...next project when funds allow.

#25 ·
wow, $75 a wheel, my powdercoat guy only wants $25 each, I was worried he was trying to rip me off!
Where is your powder coat guy? I will use him. I'd like to find someone that cheap. Honestly I was thinking about getting some 16x8 sportmax 002s.

As far as the paint code goes, these guys to all sorts of wheels and have that stuff on file. We send them 4 or 5 thousand dollar sets of wheels and get them back perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.