ClubRoadster.net banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
123 Posts
In the process of wrapping my NB with Hexis-like quality vinyl. Have had good experience with it thus far (have so far done CF hardtop + trunk), and am soon finishing the car with matte white. For those who haven't worked with vinyl (like myself), it's a very challenging task to undergo. But with alot of patience and practice, it's kind of fun. lol. Will post pics once I finish her up this weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i didnt read all through the thread so im not sure if its been said but plasti dip is almost the same thing. it gives your car a matte look to it. DipYourCar.com and you can buy different colors from this guy. the package is probably the best bet with the sprayer and gallon of whatever color you choose. sorry if someone already suggested

·
Registered
152 Posts

Aluminum, titanium, steel.

·
Registered
590 Posts
No. No its not. PlastiDip's finish will be nothing like vinyl...
This. There will be noticeable streaks no matter what. I've plasti dipped my hardtop with around 8 coats. Depending on the lighting you can still see streaks on it...also the texture bothers me when I wash the car, I feel like I might accidentally peel it off sometimes when wiping it down with soap

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Lol that's because you eventually will.

Plastidip has no business being on the outside of a car. Even dipyourcar doesn't state how long it'll hold up.

That said, using their sprayer you can easily not get streaks/runs. I take it you did your hardtop with cans. It should be known cans of anything suck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wrapped my red NA in matte black

I used 3M matte black vinyl - application does take time at first until you get the hang of it.

final result :)

·
CR.net Supporter
123 Posts
Here's some pics of the current progression of matte white vinyl on the car. First time working with vinyl and I must say, this stuff can be a PITA to work with but after you get used to how the material lays on and stretches it's kind of fun.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Lol that's because you eventually will.

Plastidip has no business being on the outside of a car. Even dipyourcar doesn't state how long it'll hold up.

That said, using their sprayer you can easily not get streaks/runs. I take it you did your hardtop with cans. It should be known cans of anything suck.

For $300 to cover an entire car (that's all in spray gun included) what exactly are you looking for longevity wise? I plasti dipped a buddies EVO9 matte black almost 2 years ago and it's still good to go with no problems. It does not feel smooth like vinyl, but it looks exactly the same when applied correctly.

To say it has "no business being on the outside of a car is" is completely ridiculous at best.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
2 years? That's insane. Glad to see one account where it's held up.

I've read many accounts of it falling off in 3, 6, or 10 months.

$300 for a paint job that can fall off so soon is a waste IMO. I can take my car to economy paint and for $200 they'll paint my car in a single stage with a 1 year warranty.

That's why I feel it has no business being on the outside of the car. Paint works better, has a nicer finish, will last longer.

·
Bleeding Red....& Gold
1,641 Posts
Here are my concerns w/ vinyl vs plasti-dip

Plastidip: my hardtop is plastidipped
issue(s):
1. cant really wash it w/ soap as the paint chips off
2. it feels like a velcro & acts like a velcro & magnet to lints

vinyl:
concern(s):
1. if it gets scratched or dinged (on d parking lot), wont they start to come off?
2. How durable is it really under rain or shine (parked outside w/ no garage or port)?

On the otherhand, those 2 vinyl posts look awesome.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Might as well discuss this here in regards to the vinyl vs. plastidip

First let me state I've only had first hand experience with the following: Plastidip, 3M Scotchprint 1080, 3M DiNoc Vinyl, I don't mess around with the cheap **** b/c it's never worked for me.

3M Dinoc - Don't bother. It's really only made for interior surfaces. It does not do well at all in temps above 85 Degrees. Not sure how it does in the cold, because I've never gotten it to last on anything longer than the summertime lol.

3M Scotchprint 1080 - I have some of this on my car now, and have wrapped a hard top in it. MUCH better for exteriors, and cars in general to be honest. This stuff is specifically made and marketed by 3M for automotive applications. It's not cheap.

Hexis - On par or slightly superior to the Scotchprint. There's a guy with an NC in Australia (which keep in mind is basically a giant desert) who has his entire care wrapped in Hexis Carbon Fiber for at least 12-18 months now. Search around on miata.net for the post/pictures.

The scotchprint and Hexis will resist damage extremely well. The finish is nice and smooth and very easy to clean. Any nicks/cuts that do develop will compromise that entire piece of vinyl eventually, once the littles bit of moisture gets under there you're fucked. The problems come with the cost, and the installation. It's not impossible, but it's far from what I would consider easy. You also need to apply the the vinyl in large sheets, gaps in the vinyl will stick out like eyesores.... look at the close up of that 240 with the sparkly vinyl **** posted early.

Now plastidip, for small pieces right out of the spray can is fine. Emblems, small trim pieces, style bar covers, rims.... I've done all those with no problems at all. By problems I mean streaking, lifting, peeling, etc. Prep is key, just as with the vinyl. You need to clean the **** of whatever you're spraying, and give it an alcohol bath once it's completely cleaned.

Anything bigger than a rim... get a spray gun because it will look like ****. The finish looks smooth, but is not smooth to the touch. It can definitely be a pain with lint, but that **** just washes right off. Soap wise your should be fine with any commercially available car wash soap. I was the exterior or my car with Meguir's Gold Class. My windshield header, mirrors, emblems, and rear striker plates are all plastidipped. I have a regular old microfiber wash mitt from Walmart.

In regards to it peeling or tearing, it's not as durable as vinyl, but it's pretty darn close. I've whacked my keys on my mirror quite a few times, and still haven't marred the finish at all. In regards to the ease of application, watch the dipyourcar.com video of them applying and finishing up the Matte White M3. I've had the same results as what they show on their video there.

You honestly can't go wrong either way. But that is comparing the higher end vinyl to plastidip. Any vinyl not specifically manufactured for vehicle exteriors is going to fade badly in the sun in short order and possibly give you problems from other external forces (Snow/ice/rain/heat/etc). My personal vehicle has gone through 1.5 NY Summers, and a NY winter with plastidipped exterior pieces..... not a problem. My buddies Evo I sprayed 2 years ago.... not a problem.

I'm actually considering spray my front bumper hood and fenders quick towards the middle of the fall to protect the paint from the harsh winters up here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Miatas are one of the easiest cars I've wrapped. Did if for free at my last job to learn it. Your car looks damn good I really like sp1s and miesters

·
Registered
252 Posts
def more time then i have

It's surprisingly quick once you are used to working with the material. I started by doing small interior pieces, then interior pieces with more compound curves and weird angles. From there progressed to individual body panels, and then an entire car.

I wouldn't be comfortable doing the front bumper on a NC yet. I know a few professionals that do clear bra installs, and they all say the front bumper on the NC is the hardest they have done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I tried vinyl on my girlfriends bike and that was a PAIN in my arseeee!! I guess a car would be faster it took like 3 days just to do the fairings on the bike.. way to many curves... got a lot of ripes stretching the vinyl..

81 - 100 of 134 Posts