ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It ain't MX5 sized. Anyone know what panel filter I should be using; the one I have is larger than the stock MX5 panel filter. I can't imagine Arc are having these specially made (the filter thats in the used airbox I have is a paper filter), so I'm hoping its a standard filter for some other car.

Any online reference lists, listing filters by size and application?

·
Registered
692 Posts
ive had the same problem finding an other than arc version. if you decide to go with arc the filter is the "D" version.

·
Registered
692 Posts
yah, exactly. i got mine used equipped with something other than an arc filter. its more of a paper style filter, no name or parts#'s to identify it though-

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
go to K&Ns site, they probably make the size you need, just measure it.
Tried that. Nothing showing. Pity they don't let you just browse the list.

ITG can make me a one-off easily enough, but I'm still convinced ARC have probably just used a flter that was originally out of a Nissan, Toyota etc.. Just need to find out which one.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I'm still convinced ARC have probably just used a flter that was originally out of a Nissan, Toyota etc. Just need to find out which one.
That would be my guess, as well. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer you seek. Perhaps Rod (tetsuyagarage) or Rob (roadsterdrift) can ask one of the tuner shops while they're in Japan. Given the frequency with which one should replace air filters I would want to find a cheap source as well.

On a related note, has anyone had any troubles with gunk build up on the MAF sensor, throttle plate, or in the intake manifold due to the oils used in foam filter elements like K&N? Or is it caused by something else? I've only run oem Mazda paper filters so far.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, never had a problem with filter oils fouling stuff up. You can get some sludging going on the throttle body butterfly, but that is probably crankcase oil, from the cam cover breather; if an issue, fit a catch tank.

K&N is cotton on mesh, not foam.

I've winged off an email to ARC; have a feeling all they're going to do is try and flog me a gold plated air filter (they must be, at that price).

·
1,213 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a reply from ARC; they told me to go buy it from Sumo or Hyeline. :? Guess I'll be seeing what ITG can do for me.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to update this old thread. I finally got hold of a new filter from Arc (Sumo).

All ARC filters are a foam two-stage type, similar to the HKS. Like the HKS, its not washable. As the Sumo guy pointed out, these are not oiled like regular foam filters, so washing it you're likely to knacker it. However, they think the Japanese are far too pessimistic on the change requirements.

Spectacularly grotty original versus new:

And the other side, showing the plastic support:

Installed back in the airbox:

Back in the car:

For obvious reasons, the intake is so much louder now.

·
Registered
311 Posts
what is measurements of the arc filter length, width, and depth, im thinking of getting the box soon. so i would like to know so by the time i need a new filter ill have several in stock at my house.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts