ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of using the one i have now as a dd.And picking up another one in a little better condition. So when winter comes back around i was curious to how it would go. With a set of snow tires of course.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Theres a few threads on this you can search, but short answer is you'll be fine. Buy some snow tyres for added grip.

·
Registered
716 Posts
might needs some weights?
No :fp:

That just adds mass that once moving (like, sliding towards a parked car) will be harder slow down. Adding wieght does not, and will not help. It'll help traction off the line, but hurt braking and turning.

Have you ever seen a early 911 going through a slalom? If the driver isn't careful, the car starts to mimic a pendulum, as the rear swings wider and wider, due to the inability of the car to regain grip against the intertia of the motor swaying back and forth. So, adding weight to the trunk can have serious effects, especially to someone who is new to RWD, and ESPECIALLY to someone who isn't used to driving with a LSD. Rear swings wide, diff starts to lock up, and the driver novice lifts...... and shoots out of the corner backwards.

To the OP, snow tires are great and a LSD doesn't help much unless you know how to keep it in line. You can easily pull through with all seasons.

·
Registered
401 Posts
some snowtires and you'll be fine. I Had alot of fun, the only time that i didnt had control of the car was on pure ice. But the ABS did his work.

·
Registered
401 Posts
When Texas got slammed by ice and snow back in februrary, I drove the miata around town on summer tires and it wasn't too bad. As long as you keep both hands on the wheel and don't slam on the brakes, it's manageable.

1,556 Posts
I have snow tires for the few days that it snows up here and it is easy to pass SUVs and other cars that should run circles around our cars. Truth is, these cars are very easy to break loose on snow and ice but just as easy to regain control. Makes it a ton of fun.

·
Registered
408 Posts
you can try tires n chains and whatnot all i gotta say is last year i couldn't even get out of my driveway, then when my buddy with a power-stroke pulled me out i couldn't go over 30. however that was with all weather's n i grew up in tropical weather my whole life lol.

ps. there is a miata on youtube that is a snow rally car in Canada i think.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
you can try tires n chains and whatnot all i gotta say is last year i couldn't even get out of my driveway, then when my buddy with a power-stroke pulled me out i couldn't go over 30. however that was with all weather's n i grew up in tropical weather my whole life lol.

ps. there is a miata on youtube that is a snow rally car in Canada i think.
sounds like you where on summer tires. winter tires are absolutely needed, and probably the only thing that makes a difference.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I drove all winter ice and snow with performance all seasons with very little issue. Some sliding but nothing uncontrollable, just take it easy and you'll be alright.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
If your lowered, its gonna suck. Big time. Also if the road is flat, your ok but I couldn't handle hills at all.

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts
Another snow driver here. I daily drove it thru 2 winters so far. Snow tires, rock salt in the trunk for extra weight/emergencies, and careful driving and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I only drove my car couple of time in the last winter, because I wanted to protect it from salt they were throwing around here. Anyway, it felt like a really good car to learn how to drive in winter conditions. Just as in the summer, you've a very good feel of what's happening, and everything happens pretty slowly, so you've lots of time to react. So start carefully, learn to use the throttle, and in a few days it shoul feel totally natural and fun!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts