ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 161 Posts

·
Banned
3,279 Posts
Re: For the Love of Rico

so out of curiosity, is that a kit cobra based on an Alfa vert? It doesn't seem to have as snub a nose as a regular cobra. Seems slightly different.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

If you want to get technical... it is an 82 Aurora. Aurora is a company based out of Canada and they made these cars based on the small block cobra. To my knowledge this is one of the only cars built as a small block replica, as most replicas are big blocks. I think only around 300 were made but they were made in a factory, not sold as a kit. Google Aurora cobra and it should come up.

·
Registered
496 Posts

Aww thanks dk :)
Ben- luckily my dad helps me out a lot with the cobra financially since it used to be his. And luckily I'm an engineering student with a job on a college budget haha.
thanks for all the kind words PLC, it started out as only needing a new engine and blew up into this huge project :) it was a nice change from working on the cobra because surprisingly the miata is a little bigger than the cobra!
Does your school have an FSAE team? You should join! Nice progress on the Miata!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Our school does have an fsae team, and I'm on it :) its my senior project for next year, I'm designing the suspension. Our team is actually in Nebraska now competing but I have work :/

·
Registered
496 Posts

Our school does have an fsae team, and I'm on it :) its my senior project for next year, I'm designing the suspension. Our team is actually in Nebraska now competing but I have work :/
What school? I'm lead suspension designer for Kettering University! I was hoping our school would go to Lincoln, but we decided to go to Formula North instead, since the entry fees were so much lower.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

So I'm pretty sure I'm going to take out my ABS in my car since it is so heavy, which means I will need to change out most of the brake lines... Anybody have any advice/opinions on whether or not it would be beneficial to leave in the ABS for tracking? This car will mostly be used for tracking and occasionally driven on the street...

·
Registered
31 Posts

As a fellow engineering student, I'll admit jealousy on both counts of the Cobra and Miata... though I suppose I'm to blame on the Miata end- shouldn't have dumped all that money into tech gear. Anyway, I'm definitely watching this one!

·
Registered
4,979 Posts

Very cool. Very fond of your exhaust choice, you're going to love it!

ABS is helpful. Avoids flat spots when braking heavily.. I hear it's more beneficial for auto-x than for track days.

·
Banned
3,279 Posts
I have ABS on the FD, and it's my first ABS vehicle. It performs exceptionally well and I can essentially slam on the brakes and not have to modulate. Excellent for autox, don't know about track but couldn't imagine it being a bad thing.

I thought about removing mine, but figured it was better to stay in. I'll go non abs when I got back stateside

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Thanks for the advice everyone... I'm just unsure if it is worth keeping it in vs. the extra weight: the wiring, unit itself, extra brake lines and the box that controls it next to the ECU.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I personally would ditch it, but that's because I'm in the northeast, and ABS systems can have interesting effects on ice. (I know a few Yankee mechanics that can't stand ABS and pull it the first chance they get.) Cali shouldn't give you much in the way of ice... So my justification doesn't do much.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)

A bit of an update:
So last weekend the body work and paint got finished. Here is what it looked like on the way to the shop:

During disassembly:

Super cute picture of the autobody shop puppy for smiles :D :

And what you have all been waiting for... *drum roll please*
The finished product:

So now, reassembly will begin. I have decided to completely take the abs system out of my car. I recently found out that the brake boosters and master cylinders are not the same. So the plan is to get the braking system almost completely finished before the engine or wiring goes back in.

Last Christmas my parents got me the Flyin Miata stage 1 clutch and 10.1lb flywheel:

which is still needs to be installed and is next on my list of things to do. At least it is a 3 day weekend :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)

So this past weekend a ton of progress was made. My new clutch and flywheel were installed:

And I bolted on the transmission/bellhousing to the engine:

And for the moment that I know you, and I, have all been waiting for!!!!!

The engine has been successfully dropped into my car. I also got all the engine wiring connected and the other two wiring harnesses run through the rest of the body. New master cylinder and brake lines were run throughout the car so no more ABS for me, hurray! And while I was at it, I installed:

Some stainless steel braided brake lines in for good measure :)

More progress is coming your way soon, so stay tuned!

21 - 40 of 161 Posts