ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to go to the Long Beach classic Japanese car show, but could make it... :(

Instead, this past Saturtitty went to a track day out at Streets of Willow. Had a great time driving the Atom, it was the first time I was able to stretch out the legs on the car. Didn't take a camera, but someone else did and they put up some pics online.

Link to pics (56K warning! hundreds of thumbnails)

The car is pretty fast, actually. When I first took delivery of the car, I didn't have much confidence driving it and found it kind of intimidating. After a couple of hours behind the wheel, though, it feels pretty good. The seats were totally comfortable through the whole day (didn't feel any pressure spots or anything like that). It wasn't long before the car felt like an extension of my penis. :lol:
When the day was over, I wanted to keep driving. :cry:
Can't wait until the car gets street tags...driving this thing is like heroin.

Here's a pic of the Atom passing a supercharged Mega Monster Miata on the straight:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
and...... I was going to say that If I ever make it out to the west coast..... I wanted a ride.....

but after that penis extension comment.... don't think I want in that car ever....lol

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
good to see it out there, David.

I hope to run into you out at a track day. I'd love to take a ride.

·
Registered
59 Posts
W

Here's a pic of the Atom passing a supercharged Mega Monster Miata on the straight:
Not fair! The Atom is fast; very fast, but I slowed and waved him by on that straight! I saw the Atom on my ass and I worried I might be holding Mr. Worley up so I slowed and followed followed him for awhile.

Both cars are actually pretty evenly matched, the Atom has a slight advantage on the more technical sections though I doubt if either of us were driving the car to it's full potential, I know I need to change my turn in point on at least two corners.

Paul

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not fair! The Atom is fast; very fast, but I slowed and waved him by on that straight! I saw the Atom on my ass and I worried I might be holding Mr. Worley up so I slowed and followed followed him for awhile.

Both cars are actually pretty evenly matched, the Atom has a slight advantage on the more technical sections though I doubt if either of us were driving the car to it's full potential, I know I need to change my turn in point on at least two corners.

Paul
True that. Paul, you DID slow a bit to allow me to pass on that straight (the track rules only allowed for passing on the straight). If any hierarchy of performance was infered by my post, I didn't mean it as such. After Paul let me by, he was able to stick fairly close behind for most of the way around the lap afterwards.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
489 Posts
I stoped by for like 5 minutes because I had to ride back and get ready for my race on the big track. The Atom looked hooked up out there.

·
3,857 Posts
I'm really l sad I missed this event :(

MM, Atom, M5 ... so many beautiful and rare cars out there...and me home installing my BFDH roll bar...

·
Registered
582 Posts
wow! Good to know you really have fun with your new pennis. (thats gay) lol! was it easy to drive fast? did you noticed more oversteer, neutral, understeer in corners? How do you drive that thing in tight corners?

·
Registered
59 Posts
True that. Paul, you DID slow a bit to allow me to pass on that straight (the track rules only allowed for passing on the straight). If any hierarchy of performance was infered by my post, I didn't mean it as such. After Paul let me by, he was able to stick fairly close behind for most of the way around the lap afterwards.
Sorry, I do get defensive; the Mega is like part of the family and I get a lot of comments about it like "why would you ruin the handling of a great handling car like the Miata by putting a heavy V8 up front?" (not), so I'm overly sensitive. I just wanted the folks to know we were not racing, (although I was trying hard to stay with you on that one lap before I was called in to the hot pit). If the Mega and the Atom were racing against each other with drivers of equal skill the Atom is the FASTER (and more fun) of the two, hands down!

I had a great time, the "streets" course is a great course and very safe, nothing but desert if you miss a turn. The instruction (this was a driving school) was excellent, we started on the skid pad with an instructor on board learning to control over steer and under steer with the throttle. Then some "heel and toe" practice braking, blipping the motor, and down shifting all at the same time while slowing for a corner set up in the parking lot (I was the only one with an automatic, he he). After that a couple of parade laps to learn the proper lines (the turn-in point and apex were marked with orange cones) and then we were let loose on the track. :D After lunch we practiced doing a controlled 180 by locking the e-brake on a wet skid pad :D then more track time :D lots of track time :D :D

While we were doing our laps on the track the instructors would watch us then call each of us in so an instructor could ride along and critique our driving for 3 or 4 laps, interestingly my ride-along instructor was recommending a different turn-in and apex from the orange cone markers which I was trying match at two of the corners!

I learned a lot, had lots of track time, and it was fun fun fun! It was well worth the price, I'll be out there again the next school.

Paul[schild=19 fontcolor=238E68 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]Old Man[/schild]

·
Mufasa in Training
33,009 Posts
:lol: Sorry, Bill. Perhaps a pointless post, but it does look like a lot of fun. I'm still waiting until the car's where I'd like (and need, in cases of safety equipment) it to be before my first track day, so all I can do is sit on the sidelines with a pair of pom-poms...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts