ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
To each their own, but I think it will look terrible. The Miata isn't really a rally car. Those Ur Quattros were devils (and I'd love to have one).

Keith Tanner (FM) did big driving lights on his car back in the late '90s. They were pretty cool. His website probably has pictures somewhere. He used the factory tiedown hooks, modified to hold the lights, and a plug so he could remove them easily when he didn't want them on his car.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I really like the purposeful look of rally lights but I think they overpower the car's aesthetics. But they ain't about being pretty, they're about seeing at night at high speed. I think the look is more "appropriate" on a 2.5RS or MINI. The Miata is too delicate and curvey of a shape to pull it off well. Then again, with the right front bumper, it might work.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Not really what you're looking for but these rather large yellow driving lamps remind me of vintage European rally cars. Also cool looking would be a single offset lamp.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I saw the other thread and didn't like the straight pod too much. For me it didn't cross over that line of aggressiveness where it would become cool.

I'm not sure I understand what you are thinking with single offset lamps. Pictures?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Many old sports cars used a single spot driving lamp. It was typically mounted to the grill or front bumper but was off-center. If you want rally lights I like the idea of building a light bar that can be easily installed and removed as needed. This ability will also help cut down on theft.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you want rally lights I like the idea of building a light bar that can be easily installed and removed as needed.
No no no... a flip up version mounted to the roll bar!!! now THAT would be [email protected]$$!!!

Just have a lever that you can push up and lock into position when the top is down; kinda make it look like a redneck truck :shock:

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
If you are going to do driving lamps on a sleek car do it like the m2-1001. You could do a decent job with some patience and some body work and mold them in. The lights on the Quatro were ment to be removable and in my opionion sticking six giant lamps on the front of a miata would be the same as giant plastic and aluminum wings stuck on hondas and domestics running with stock suspension while covered in stickers -- lame and worth a laugh.

If you worked with an 01 front end you would get a bumper for a decent start as the foglamps are a decent size on it and some better looking headlights (like your DIY projection unit on the passenger).

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have considered molding in lights in the same way as the Team Oreca viper or C5R. That was my plan A.

But I'm starting to like this idea better. I wouldn't have to compromise on the size of the lamps (with an integrated solution I was looking at 5 inch FF200s). They would also be easy to mount compared to integrated lights where I would have to figure out some way to mold them in or mold aerodynamic lexan covers. Pods also have the added advantage that they are removable, if I go to a track day or autoX I wont have to have all that weight hanging off the front.

Sure I might put them on for meets, but the primary reason I would spend money on this is so I can see better at night.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts