ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Supporting Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so here's my non-miata project....the car was purchased by my father in 1971, drove it daily until 1985, and then he began a ground up resto. My parents got divorced, and the healey was banished to sit outside for 15 years. my old man passed away, and the car sat neglected by me for about a year. When i Finally decided to bring back "the widowmaker" to life and reliability it was pushed into my garage and the process of sorting mechanicals began.
the fuel system was rancid. filled with the salt like qualities of old ethanol laced gas. I went through the whole fuel system, replaced the rear brakes, sorted out the triple carbs, then tuned them with a stethoscope (my idea). it took a good six months of weekend wrenching to get the old girl to the point where i feel comfortable going on long trips and car caravans etc. etc. the car is running quite nicely now, with the occassional sticking needle in a float chamber. the next step is body work and rust repair. will post more pics as progress continues on bringing my dad's old car back to pristine condition...the prado legacy continues

special thanks to xbeatles4x for taking some of these photos, and although he doesn't know it yet. thanks for helping bleed the clutch and changing the tranny fluid.
will update soon...:phillyb:

·
Supporting Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just changed out my 12 year old plugs. man bosch makes a resilient, long lasting plug. replaced with ngk platinum's to match the miata.

·
Supporting Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a 98% original, 50 yeard old interior still looks good

this last photo shows just how deteriorated the fuel system had become, no doubt tricking me, for many years, into assuming my bulletproof SU's werent so bulletproof. i was wrong they are bulletproof. more pics as progress continues.

·
Supporting Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
very reliable engine, lots of torques, and just a handful to drive aggresively...in other words. the blokiest bloke's car you can find. a true "hairy chested sports car"
also, philly b, can you hate me so i can put that decal on my rides? i wanna be in on the inside joke

·
Supporting Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

as you can see the panel fitment is real good. definitely a candidate for a concourse restoratition one day. i plan to do most of the prep work for these rusty doors. the back fender only suffers from light surface rust. all in all a real solid car to spend your life with.

·
Supporting Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In. I can still remember my '56 Austin A35... god I love old English cars.
old english iron is awesome. my experience with british cars is what steered me towards the miata. to me, the miata is a british car, just a very reliable one.

·
(⌐■_■)
2,387 Posts
Funny, my dad regales tales of hatred for his British roadsters, although I think he'd buy another tr4/6 if the opportunity arouse.

·
Supporting Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Funny, my dad regales tales of hatred for his British roadsters, although I think he'd buy another tr4/6 if the opportunity arouse.
the tr4 and 6 is an amazing car. it is possible he got one of the bad ones. there were allot of them in the seventies. now though, most of the ones still around have the lucas gremlins sorted. with that said. a tr6 is amazing.
the value of healeys compared to other bmc cars, shows just how great they are. not to mention the extensive dominance they had in the great european rallies. and a tri carb setup is so baller. all the old british guys go crazy with the sound of tri cabs

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm going to hide this thread from my wife, lest she make me go out and find one of these for her. We both have a thing for classic roadsters, but as the maintainer in the household, I have to say no right now...

That said, its a beautiful car. Glad to see one of these in that rare territory between "trailer queen" and "car-shaped-pile-of-rust". Even better to see it gets driven. Still better to see it has some history and I'm sure some sentiment for you. Great car, great story.

·
Supporting Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have nothing to report but rock solid reliability, the car is solid underneath. so itll look great with minimal work

1 - 20 of 40 Posts