ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon the cliches. I have a couple of questions about living in Australia relative to the US and I know there are a few folks on CR.net from there. These are not roadster-related, though.
  1. What are some cities (or neighborhoods in the case of the majors like Sydney) that attract a good amount of tourist traffic? Any in particular that are lower-cost-of-living? For example, in the States, New York and Florida both draw significant tourism but Florida has MUCH lower taxes, cheaper real estate, etc.
  2. How are waiters/waitresses/bartenders paid? That is, in the States, they are paid a pittance for hourly wages (e.g. $2.00/hour) and earn the majority of their income via tips.
  3. Do you have to have a liquor license in order to sell liquor at a restaurant/bar? If so, any idea (ballpark) on cost? A few grand? Tens of thousands? Six figures?

·
Registered
11 Posts
1) Sydney is a big place, but I guess that's relative. Expensive, too - but that's relative as well. Tax, we don't have the whole sales tax thing like they do in the US, we have a 10% GST on everything everywhere which makes things a lot simpler.
Popular tourist areas are places like the Gold Coast in Queensland is one of the biggest ones with a higher cost of living. Glenelg in Adelaide, SA would be an example of a smaller one with a lower cost of living.

2) No idea what wages are like - other than what I would assume to be 'poor'. No one tips like in the USA either. Never worked in hospitality myself so can't answer what the wage is like.

3) AFAIK, yes. The Venue has a licence, and IIRC the staff serving the drinks need to be over 18 as well. Legal drinking age here is 18 as you may be aware of. As for cost of licence, no idea - it probably differs state to state as IIRC the liquor licencing organisations are state-based. I'm sure there's sites that can help out with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.