ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of you autocrossers have rollbars. I was wondering if rollovers while autocrossing was common. When you loose control on an autocross track, doesn't it just spin?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Uncommon, but it happens. When I used to autocross my bar was primarily for chassis stiffness and a place to tie a harness.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Most nationally competitive Miatas don't have a roll bar. At the relatively low speeds and even lots that autocross is usually run on there is a pretty slim chance there will be a rollover.

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
I've seen a video of a saturn almost roll, and witnessed a ford ranger (yes a guy was autocrossing a ford ranger) get up on two and almost go over.

http://www.loewephoto.com/Cincy SOLO/20060520/20060520-index.html

page 12 for the ranger, 18 if you wanna see me. these are for the may cendiv, and not the sept one, but the cameraman's website is messing with me.
I saw the ranger autocross in person, I thought it was great considering my other vehicle is a ranger, nobody believed me, now I have proof :mrgreen:
I couldnt stop smiling when I saw him pull it in a racecar trailer.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I saw the ranger autocross in person, I thought it was great considering my other vehicle is a ranger, nobody believed me, now I have proof :mrgreen:
I couldnt stop smiling when I saw him pull it in a racecar trailer.
so steve when are you going to autoX you ranger? pussy

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
No I didnt see it get on two wheels unfortunately, I just arived when he was getting done, btw are you talking about at the Sharonville Ford Plant

·
Registered
490 Posts
For what its worth I've only seen one car actually roll over in an autocross. (in 9 years) It was a stock class MK3 Jetta on sticky tires. He got into a tank slapper and couldn't keep up, he tried to save it rather than just let it go. Combine off camber with a nasty bump and a front wheel dug into the surface and flipped the car over more than rolled it. I basically tell anyone I instruct that its not worth trying to save it, even if you do you've lost so much time its not worth the effort.
I'm planning on installing a roll bar just to be able to run track days.

·
Registered
262 Posts
wow, that guy in the SVT looked PISSED.

most autocrosses happen in open parking lots or large tarmacs, and at less speed than the video shows. Autox is a very safe sport, especially when compared to other organized automotive sporting activities.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
miata have a real low center of gravity. if you still have you doubts, go to one and ask for a ride in a miata

·
Registered
490 Posts
That car had help going over and that was not a typical autocross. If you run with clubs like the SCCA or any club that follows SCCA rules, they mandate how close obstructions are supposed to be to the course. I can't say that that course would have been approved by any of the safety stewards in our region.
As far as speed, it depends. I've been well into third (in a 6 speed miata) on a couple courses but the courses were well thought out to handle the speed.
AutoX is pretty safe. If mine was an A-X only car I wouldn't even think about a roll bar. Now you will need one if you plan on using a harness, the SCCA has rules about that too.

I almost forgot that the first thing I autocrossed was a 1994 Ford Lightning. Worked just fine, I just had a hard time seeing the cones.

-pb

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
miata have a real low center of gravity. if you still have you doubts, go to one and ask for a ride in a miata
No doubts, I just had to ask. I rode once at the ZoomZoomLive event (If you can call that autocrossing). I can't wait for the season to open up here.

·
Registered
526 Posts
That type of course is rare. My region does run on one a few times a year (the mini-road course at Gainesville Speedway) but most are in parking lots and on unused runways. Learn and follow the golden rule: "In a spin, both feet in" (meaning one foot on the brake, one on the clutch) and you will be just fine. Every (rare) example of a rollover at an autocross that I've seen was caused by someone trying to drive out of a spin instead of following the golden rule (with the exception of that SVT vid, where the tirewall caused the roll more than anything.)

·
Registered
205 Posts
that video makes me giggle

people sitting in the middle of the track is even funnier

and people say drifting events are unsafe lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts