ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a still in plastic Autopower roll bar that was sold by Moss Motors years ago but I dont have the hardware. Can someone give me a list of the nuts and bolts that I'm gonna need, I'm gonna shoot to install it this weekend. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
dude your going to need to go to ACE and buy them. make sure they are grade 8

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
You are worried about grade 8 hardware when he has a "plastic rollbar?" :whistle:

As far as finding out bolt sizes, you can find many install guides online. Just google miata rollbar installation. And yes, grade 8 hardware is recommended. I'm not sure if you have the kind of rollbar that attaches in front of the seatbelt tower, but if you do, you might have trouble finding the right thread pattern in grade 8 for the seat belt bolts. Just get the closest size up in pattern and you can tap out the holes to the new thread pattern pretty easily.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plastic? It's 1.75 mild steel that mounts to the seat belt pillars and then by the deckplate. I just need to know how many and what size bolts and nuts to get.

You are worried about grade 8 hardware when he has a "plastic rollbar?" :whistle:

As far as finding out bolt sizes, you can find many install guides online. Just google miata rollbar installation. And yes, grade 8 hardware is recommended. I'm not sure if you have the kind of rollbar that attaches in front of the seatbelt tower, but if you do, you might have trouble finding the right thread pattern in grade 8 for the seat belt bolts. Just get the closest size up in pattern and you can tap out the holes to the new thread pattern pretty easily.

·
Supporting Member
182 Posts
do you have the backing plates already to mount to drop bars to the floor pan? these are the plates that go on the outside of the car.

i ordered the whole hardware kit for $60 direct from Autopower for a rollbar that I bought early last year.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
Plastic? It's 1.75 mild steel that mounts to the seat belt pillars and then by the deckplate. I just need to know how many and what size bolts and nuts to get.
You obviously didnt pick up on my grammar humor. Lol

And like i said. If you have a rollbar that attaches to the shelf, then the online guides will tell you what you need. If you have the type where the main hoop drops to the floor, then you can choose the bolt size and thread you want as long as it is not bigger than the holes on the bar. And as far as how many, just look at how many holes in the bar you have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you have the backing plates already to mount to drop bars to the floor pan? these are the plates that go on the outside of the car.

i ordered the whole hardware kit for $60 direct from Autopower for a rollbar that I bought early last year.
No, all I have is the bar with the plates that are on the inside of the car and the upper shock mount bolts that are made onto the bar. Are the plates that mount underneath the same basic size as the ones that are inside the car?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes and you need them! You can make your own out of 3/16 steel you get at Home Depot for about $20 cuts well enough with a jig saw and can be drilled by hand. Backing plates should be at least 3"x3"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes and you need them! You can make your own out of 3/16 steel you get at Home Depot for about $20 cuts well enough with a jig saw and can be drilled by hand. Backing plates should be at least 3"x3"
Sounds good, I'll fab my own. Looks like the bolts I need are 3/8" x 1 1/4" and 3/8" x 1/4".

·
I own Laz and you don't.
2,542 Posts
^those are the right size, we have the same bar in project lazarus and that's the hardware we used, make sure and use lock washers etc...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Call autopower and get it from them direct. Save your time and efforts in choosing the wrong stuff.

·
Registered
910 Posts
This is one of the easier bars to install. If you really can buy the bolts and backing plates for $60 that sounds like a pretty good deal and is probably what I would do.

·
Registered
541 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts