ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with them? Should I hold out for a Hard dog? I want a roll bar for added comfort as well as added chassis stiffening. I will be doing select Auto-X and track days w/ the Porsche guys, as well as some drifting :mrgreen: when I get a call back from my buddy who's looking for a rear diff for me. So anyone got any info for me or a better suggestion?

This is the one I'm looking @ from Good-Win
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/30-1041.html

I can have additional bracing welded in, and save me a little cash :twisted:

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
I would hold out for a Hardog, we have both in our club and the Autopowers look really tiny in the Miata for some reason, where as the Hardog really fills the interior, i will try to get you some pics from the local meeting.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I dont think i would go for that one... it seems to me like the selling point for that rollbar is how much money you save as opposed to how safe it is. That rubs me the wrong way.

-Jeremy

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
The Autopower bars are SCCA approved, not sure about any other racing bodies though, so they're safe for track use. But lets be honest, we all got them for track safety in a roll over....lol As far as daily driving, they aren't the slightest bit safe, but ya know, I still bought one.

I agree with Phat (Randy right?), my HDHC bar fills out the interior very well and doesn't sit too low or anything.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention are they hardtop compatible as well? #-o I've contacted brian from Good-win several times and he's reassured me that that roll bar is hardtop compatible. That's a small concern for me though, but it'd help in the long run.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can anyone offer insight as to how much the Hard Dog Hardcore bars infringe on interior space/seat movement?

I have a HDHCDD that I've been waiting to install for fear that I'd be too cramped. I am 6'2" and need all the seat travel I can get!

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
OK I guess I'll have to defend the Autopower a little here ;):
1. It's lighter than the HD's
2. It doesn't alter the seatbelt mounting in any way shape or form. Some (all?) of the HD's relocate the seatbelt swivel, causing the seatbelt to be hard to retract, and also causes the seatbelt to rub more often against the seat.
3. Only need to trim the removable piece of the shelf. No need to trim the actual body sheetmetal. I believe the HDHC reaches further back and require this.
4. cheaper than comparable HD's if I remember correctly.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone offer insight as to how much the Hard Dog Hardcore bars infringe on interior space/seat movement?

I have a HDHCDD that I've been waiting to install for fear that I'd be too cramped. I am 6'2" and need all the seat travel I can get!
Thread ninja :mrgreen:

Jesse- I don't mind cutting/welding, it's going to happen eventually :twisted:

Phatty- Still waiting on those pics :mrgreen: Just joshin' ya :mrgreen:

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is what I did. I bought a used autopower cage for 100.00 from a spec guy. I cut off the front section and gave it a paint job. I love it. The cage also gives the driver more seat travel, but takes away some from the pass.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh and it fits under the hard top.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thread ninja :mrgreen:
Figured since there were a bunch of HD proponents in here, it'd be more efficient then creating another thread! #-o :lol: ;)
No prob. I was considering the HD stuff before Autopower, but for the money, it's similar in a few ways.
-Do I mind install taking longer for HD products, No.
-Do I mind paying an additional $60-$80 for a powdercoat job that would be changed along with additonal supporting added on once installed, yeah.
-Does it matter whether it'll fit under a factory hardtop, yeah.
-Is head room, seat tilt a thing to consider, No. I can count on one hand how many times I've ever adjusted my seat after getting into my car. I would mind if my head was resting up against the bar though.
All things I've considered, the Autopower does the same for less money. As Raen419 mentioned, they're also SCCA approved. I will be installing race buckets, mine will be welded once I have found the most comfortable and safe position, so I don't need to worry about how much adjustability I'll have w/ the bar. Also, the size isn't a big thing to me, it's strength in the bar itself that I'd be more worried about, you could always add roll bar padding :mrgreen:

·
2,708 Posts
The one in the pic from Goodwinn's site is the "regular" one, the one I got from him is the "race" one, it's a little taller, mounts lower behind the seat, and has an addition diagonal bar. From what Ive seen, the Autpower race bar mounts a little lower behind the seat and the mounts looks more beefier. But regardless, both brands are SCCA legal and thats all that matter. This is my second bar and I have no problems with it.

My first Autopower.

Note, if you get the Race bar, the side latches will NOT work. As you can see here, the bars are wider so you have to take the side latches or else it will scratch up the bar. Mine are since off and I have no problems.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The one in the pic from Goodwinn's site is the "regular" one, the one I got from him is the "race" one, it's a little taller, mounts lower behind the seat, and has an addition diagonal bar. From what Ive seen, the Autpower race bar mounts a little lower behind the seat and the mounts looks more beefier. But regardless, both brands are SCCA legal and thats all that matter. This is my second bar and I have no problems with it.

Note, if you get the Race bar, the side latches will NOT work. As you can see here, the bars are wider so you have to take the side latches or else it will scratch up the bar. Mine are since off and I have no problems.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/cheftam/Striiped_rear.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/cheftam/Tam_Top.jpg
Hey Tam, is that a hardtop on with the race bar? What's the clearance w/ the hardtop on? I was going to get spec mounts for the hardtop, so clearance and scratches shouldn't be an issue.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont think i would go for that one... it seems to me like the selling point for that rollbar is how much money you save as opposed to how safe it is. That rubs me the wrong way.

-Jeremy
Was that directed @ me or the price on the bar itself that they sell? :?

Don't let me rub you the wrong way Jeremy. I do everything thoroughly, though it's in stages, I make sure it's safe before continuing. Routine maintainence and checking over everything is something I have always been exposed to since I've been riding motorcycles @ 5yrs old.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Autopower bars are SCCA approved, not sure about any other racing bodies though, so they're safe for track use. But lets be honest, we all got them for track safety in a roll over....lol As far as daily driving, they aren't the slightest bit safe, but ya know, I still bought one.

I agree with Phat (Randy right?), my HDHC bar fills out the interior very well and doesn't sit too low or anything.
My buddy rolled his NA8 3 times at about 70 mph and because of his Autopower roll bar, he got out with a few scratches... seems pretty safe to me ^.^

Reguarding the OP, the Autopower is cheaper, easier to install, compatible with hard tops as well as soft tops with glass windows, and seemingly just as safe as any other. The one downside of the Autopower is that it comes with a crappy finish.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Tam you bought that autopower bar through Goodwin?

Your roll bar is deffinatly my favorite and wondered where I could get the same thing!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
When I bought my car, it already had an Autopower roll bar in it. The back of the leather seats rub against it a bit when they're all the way back, but other than that, it clears soft top and hard top without any problems and doesn't hinder the vision since it doesn't have a diagonal bar...yet :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Boss Frog clear view bar and have been very satisfied with it. Similiar in design and price to the hard dog hardcore but with better rearward visibility, plus you can use it with tops with glass windows. Good seat travel and a hard top fits. The only drawback to Boss Frog is that they don't make the rollbar with a harness bar (that I'm aware of) if you want that you either have to weld one in or hack up a hard dog harness bar a little in order to bolt it in for a harness.

This page has pretty good info on them

http://www.teammiata.com/mall/Boss_Frog_Single_Bar.asp

1 - 20 of 38 Posts