ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I attended my first Autocross event ever and well I love it. Now my car is in no way set up for any type of racing it's just bone stock except for some coils that are too low, wheels that are too big and tires that are too small lol. Anyways in the beginning everybody was like :rice: but then by the end they were like :icon_cheers:. Somehow I was able to hang with the other Miata drivers and even trap a better time than a few of them. Just posting up to see if anyone else has tracked their slammed Miata and I'm curious to see how it handled.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Tracked is different from autocrossed. Although autocrossing is fun, I highly prefer racing on tracks. You do not have to focus on not missing gates and hitting cones, and more about purely going as fast as possible. Also on tracks, you have enough time to know what you are doing lol.

Edit: Tracked= you have/do drive your car on a race track/road course/ect. Autocrossed=you have/do drive your car in autocross.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I do some Autoxing/HPDE but my car is fairly well set up. I like slammed with wheels but for autoxing it has to feel terrible. Did you get a ride in any other cars?

Looks pretty dam cold in that photo.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Tracked is different from autocrossed. Although autocrossing is fun, I highly prefer racing on tracks. You do not have to focus on not missing gates and hitting cones, and more about purely going as fast as possible. Also on tracks, you have enough time to know what you are doing lol.
I'm the opposite, the density of corners on almost all tracks is insufficient, too much time to think between corners, and the track doesnt change often enough. And I'm not 16 anymore, doing triple digit speeds a few inches away from the wall just isnt exciting anymore.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
The argument of "but i did better than guys with properly setup cars" doesn't work in this situation. If you are on garbage suspension, stretched tires, riding on your bumpstops, and you beat people, it is because the are bad drivers. Just imagine how much better you could of been on a properly setup car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you did in any way ok with that setup it means your region is extremely noncompetitive.
This was just the season opener and a unscored event. My best time was a 57.2 and the best time of the day was set by a Mugan Civic that was at about 52. I placed 29th out of about 60 overall.

What's your wheel size/offset man? I know the shakotans aren't an ideal setup but yours look at least use-able at a higher ride height.
They're 15x9 0 offset with 195/50R15 Torque tires 300AA tred rating. I'm running -3 degrees camber up front and -4 in the rear.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How was the bump steer? Glad you had fun at an autox event!
Bump steer really wasn't that bad to be honest. I'm on BC BR's and there are 32 levels o dampening and I'm 10 clicks from full hard front and rear. I also have custom spring rates 12k up front and 10k in the rear.

The argument of "but i did better than guys with properly setup cars" doesn't work in this situation. If you are on garbage suspension, stretched tires, riding on your bumpstops, and you beat people, it is because the are bad drivers. Just imagine how much better you could of been on a properly setup car.
I really want to get another set of wheels and tires, mild out the camber and go again and see how it all changes. I know driver skill plays more of a role than the actual car does in autos but I figured since this is my first time I'd be pretty bad at it.

I do some Autoxing/HPDE but my car is fairly well set up. I like slammed with wheels but for autoxing it has to feel terrible. Did you get a ride in any other cars?

I got the chance to ride in a stock NC Miata and a 87 Rx-7 both on street tires. The Miata's driver had been doing it for about 10 years and the RX-7 driver was a noob like me. I honestly preferred how my car felt compared to both of those. I just felt like mine hugged the road so much better.

Looks pretty dam cold in that photo.
Yeah it was... working the track sucked

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Bump steer has nothing to do with your shocks, its toe change as the suspension moves through its range of motion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bump steer has nothing to do with your shocks, its toe change as the suspension moves through its range of motion.
Can't really say I felt it too much. Too be honest though I'm really only familiar with bump steer with off-reading.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts