ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm new here but thanks to "UltimateForce" i'm here. Heck for those who know i am the guy who bought his "other" miata. Well between the missing nuts, bolts , and screws I discovered that the cig lighter doesn't work (rusted out and no actual connections to it anyways). No problem I figured I don't smoke anymore anyways. But recently I realized I needed the option to power a small aircompressor and without the cig lighter I can't do it.

So I put together a cig lighter port with heavy guage wiring and a fuse rated for the max load I will draw (15amps) but it is wiried for upto 30 amps. Place the whole thing in a aluminum hobby case with grommets and plan to mount it tomorrow. I am grounding through the case and get power directly from the battery. But I figured I'd look to see if anyone could give me a good reason why NOT to mount the whole thing in the trunk securely.

Zel

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
Because you can't charge your ipod and listen to it at the same time? :lol:

Only legitimate reason i can think of is if something goes badwrong the battery and gas tank aren't terribly far away. That would be my only concern. But with something drawing that little amperage it shouldn't be an issue.

Safety aside, the next issue would be trickle draw. Every car has it, but the more stuff you add directly to the battery the greater it becomes. Just because there's an open circuit doesn't mean that there isn't current being wasted through it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It sounds like you have everything sorted already. I would go for it. The only possible reason i can think of not to mount in the trunk is if you aren't using a sealed battery. Something about electrical sparks and explosive gasses, ya know.

-Jeremy

edit... dang Foo beat me too it.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I though about the spark and fumes part myself. I figured I'd seal the entire unit with the exception of the power port. Then when I go to get the trunk upholstered I can have it covered and it will look semi stock..

Any ideas how i can measure the trickle draw? I forgot to mention that I did place a switch across the power line to the battery. That way incase a rouge penny hops into the port during spirited driving I won't have a fire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts