ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a drive with a happy ending to counter Sean Jay's bad day story. Got off work this afternoon and jumped on the Saw Mill Parkway for my 20-25 minute drive home (very very curvy highway) for those who know Westchester. I always enjoy the ride home because this is a very outdated twisty highway with no shoulder made for when cars went about 40mph. So in a sports car =fun.
Well tonight when I get on i pull right behind a bright red Ferrari 360 looking beautiful and making all kinds of disgusting downshifting noises. I start following him close, just because I'm hoping I can get him to scoot off in a hurry so I can hear it in all its glory, he does. I follow him in traffic at a safe distance not wanting to be a **** for about 10 minutes.
Then the road opens up where another highway branches off and I catch up and pass him (obviously he is not accelerating at this point) and wait for the road to start getting tighter. He is about 30 yards back at this point caught behind some cars. I wait and when he passes them and starts gaining I speed up. He is coming up fast until we reach some very tight turns and elevation changes where we're both going at a good pace but he doesn't catch up! Through most he is at the same pace or gaining but the final tight right-hand turn that suddenly goes down-hill he falls back and after that slows down. I slow down soon after because he's no longer close behind and my exits coming up anyway. He pulls up behind me and gets off there too.
I'm thinking well that was fun at least, although I'm sure he didn't even realize my car was there and I was having an imaginary drive with myself. Well when we both pull up to a traffic light he pulls up next me, rolls his window down and gives me a thumbs up and kind of just looks at the car. I told him, "nice car". He kind of waved that comment off and said "fast car", referring to mine and when the light went green he gestured that I should be the one to go first and then waved.
Needless to say I was all smiles and couldn't believe I got that acknowledgment from a Ferrari owner. We were going fast for the road and I know the road like the back of my hand so I'd like to think he actually couldn't keep up. More likely he didn't want to risk a car worth that much to show up a miata. He did have green numbers on his window that looked they were for auto-cross or something so I assumed he new how to drive. Anyway, he was a nice guy and I felt cool until I got home and told the GF who told me what a dork I am. :D

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just meant it as someone who like you said is a true sports car enthusiast and drives what many consider a one of the benchmarks for sports cars.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
awesome story, i wish guys like here were like that, as i see Porsches, Ferrari's and Lambos everyday and they never bother lookin at the cars around them.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well he was an older guy (40-50's) and we're in the NYC burbs (a little more low-key than FL) so he was probably some sort of sports car enthusiast.

·
Registered
489 Posts
It's always a good deal when you get to "dog fight" with someone who is as passionate as yourself. =D>

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
actually this is only the second time for me. The other was an altima se-r who wanted to drive this way in heavy traffic which was a no go for me. This made my day though, open road me and a ferrari.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Back when I was driving the RX-7 I came across a Ferrari F360 Spyder (I think that's it, maybe not...I can never remember the car models) and had a little fun with him. I think they like it whenever someone has the balls to mess with them no matter what you're driving, most people see "Ferrari" and don't even bother.

It's kind of an ironic curse which comes with the car - they probably don't think about that when they're about to buy it though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts