ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the story goes late summer last year a guy that my wife autocross with posted a miata for sale on a local forum. He didn't post an asking price, just said make me an offer. So I offered 150 bucks and he took it... Damn I paid too much. The car had been sitting in a filed for a few years and a friend of his had bought it to swap the engine into his supercharged Miata. He also took the drivers side fender as his was damaged. My autocross friend took the seats out of the car for another project. The engine from the supercharged car was dropped on the subframe in the car I got. My initial thought was going to be part the car out and crush what was left. Once I got to looking at it, I found out I had a solid car with very little rust.

Fast forward several months, I had pulled a 79 RX7 from a field that a friend of mine had. Thinking I would do a rotary swap, I was not able to get the engine to turn and not wanting to spend a ton of money for something that was going to need a rebuild I took it back. Another friend had picked up a cheap Miata and was going to use it as an autocross car. He called me looking for parts. Once he got under his car, he knew it was too far gone to race safely. So I ended up buying the car from him. Now on to the pics.

Starting the tear down, pulling parts out of the car.

The interior, what was left of it was in pretty rough shape. The tombstone was in about 6 pieces, the dash was cracked in a couple of places and the carpet was all torn up.

This is all I have of the initial tear down.

We pulled the fuel pump out to inspect the tank. If it was crusty something would have to be done.

My step-son helping out and having a little fun.

I have been working on the car with my wife and kids, we finished the tear down and pulled the wiring harness out of the car.

Before paint.

The wiring harness was hacked up in a few places, so it was pulled in favor of the new one in the parts car.

After paint.

Did I mention that the car had an automatic?

This was removing the last of the suck out of the car.

Since things we at a stopping point with the first car, I had picked up a second car for parts. This one was a runner and had a complete interior. We started pulling that one apart.

New post coming soon.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
winlowe and i welcome you

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So on to the parts car. I was able to drive this, but some poorly fitting eBay special "racing" seats I had a hard time getting behind the wheel. I have no pics of the car pre-tear down. I posted a part out on my local cragslist and was able to get quite a bit of it sold.

Doors and trunk lid sold along with the race seats and a repaired top got most of my 650 dollars back out of this car.

The car has a 1.6 engine backed up with a 6 speed transmission.

The 6 speed was a nice bonus.

The interior was in surprisingly good shape, it just needed a deep cleaning.

On to the engine pull!

My step son was helping out again along with a racing friend of mine.

Post yank victory slushy

He is sitting in a seat we found at a pick and pull yard about 2 hours from our house.

Time to start pulling the wiring harness.

And this is why its a good thing I am going to crush this car.

Moving on to reassembly.

More to come.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I was told the motor mounts were shot... Yeah I'd say so. Mazdaspeed motor mounts going in.

I also had a bad ignition lock cylinder in the gray car. I found it was just easier to swap the the steering columns on the cars, since I had the dash out of both.

I have an after market steering wheel in the garage. Its a little old and rough, but its a lot lighter than the stock wheel and it was free. No pics of that though.

More to come.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Progress on the Miata this weekend.

Wiring harness has been put back into the engine bay. I painted up the brake booster with POR15 and bought a new clutch master cylinder.

Re hanging the wiring harness behind the dash. Should be able to get the carpet and dash in soon.

I pulled the front springs out to get the Racing Beat springs put in. Sophia was helping to fix the car too.

And I rolled the parts car out to make room for the other project. Pulling the lift kit and new tires on the Superduty.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Well, the project got a little buried getting the race car ready for the first autocross weekend. And just my luck the coil packs **** the bed. So now I have 2 dead cars. I still need to chase down all of the grounds and make sure they are all good, but I have a feeling this is not the case here.

I did get a little work done on the car though.

Out with the old and in with the slightly less old. The front bar will need new bushings to actually get mounted up. About 20 bucks from Racing Beat to get the correct sway bar bushings.

I also pulled one if the rear springs, I'll get to the other one today. I will need to run down some spring compressors to get the top hats off.

I did get the one good front strut and spring in on the passenger side, and got a lot of organization done. A new rolling shelf for parts.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So after spending most of the weekend camping with my family, I was able to get some work done on the car yesterday. Nothing major, but progress is progress.

So we started by removing old and stock. You will notice only 3 springs. This is because one of the stockers went with the parts car that is now gone.

Front

Rear

The car has Racing Beat springs and KYB AGX shocks. Why the 2 worst suspension options for a Miata in the world you ask? Because I had them. They were free. I will drive on them until I can get concealers Zydia setup put together. I will be keeping the Racing Beat anti-roll bars front and rear though.

And since I was on a roll I got into the interior a little bit.

Its starting to look like a car again.

·
Registered
796 Posts
So I think I missed something along the way here. The rotary is gone but you never said what is going in and why are you putting the interior back in before you widen the tunnel? ;)

PS what was the final count on the rodents? Or is that number not considered final yet...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update time, and a major step taken last night.

My friend Allen came over to help and we were able to get the engine and transmission in.

I had a brain fart and forgot to put the cup under the motor mount when we first bolted it down. Not a big deal though, loosen a few motor mount bolts and got them placed. We had a minor issue with the power plant frame, the automatic PPF is too short for a manual transmission. I did have 2 other PPF's available though. I somehow cross threaded a bolt on the first one I tried, went to use the second one and figured out that it was no good also. Someone had removed the spacer from the diff end, so the bolts had nothing to thread to. Allen happened to have a tap and die set at his house, so a quick trip across town and we were in business. So now its down to all of the little stuff. Tinkering when I have time, and taking little steps to get a big project done.

I also seem to have developed a major oil leak coming from the dip stick. I'm not sure why or how that started but I'll have to figure it out.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts