ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this question has been on my mind lately... what does the car feel like when it's bushings are all worn out?

I have only owned my NA for about 8 months with 165k miles on it already so haven't really rode in one with good suspension.

When I turn my steering wheel left and right (swerve), I can feel the car rock like a boat.. kind of "floaty" feeling.... is it just bad shocks?

I plan on getting a set of Megan Street Series but was wondering if I should just take the plunge and just replace all the bushings.

any suggestions/comments?

Thanks!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Doesnt hurt to change them, I did. Got the car at over 150k and did the labor myself thanks to Advance Auto Parts since they have a loaner tool program. It's pretty simple and air tools help a lot. Look into the ball joints and tie rods as well if you feel like the car is misbehaving. After all, it's an old car by now.

Basically my car's suspension has been redone. Ball joints and tie rods got new boots, bushings replaced, full body Coilovers and CV axles were replaced. Not much else can give the car a floaty feeling and of course a good alignment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which bushing did you use? just oem replacement?

thanks for the response btw....

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
"Squidgy"

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
All of the oem bushings I've removed have been in surprisingly good shape even on a 227k chassis. That said, I've always seen improvements installing poly ES bushings.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
find another miata with new bushings and drive them back to back.

I completely overhauled my suspension about 12k ago and it was shocking how much slop it took out of the chasis. i was routinely turning into corners WAY too soon because I was so used to the worn parts before.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm.. ES, Prothane, SuperPro... which ones? too many to choose!

Do all of them require re-grease every 6 months?

If the bushings are in good shape, does it mean it's just my shocks that are shot?

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Shocks would be a good place to start. I think you will find most people have used ES and Superpro with great success. Superpro also offers offset bushings for additional aid to hit alignment numbers.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I used ES bushing. Ill also agree that after replacing them, the car handled better. ES bushings are prolly one of the easier brands to install, majority of it can be put together by hand including the metal inserts. But like others have said, I would replace your shocks/springs before doing this. The ES bushings were 2nd to the last on my list, but only because I saw torn boots on the tie rods and ball joints while doing the bushings.

·
woah
6,858 Posts
Es is okay for the price. Id rather save a bit more and get superpro. The lips on ES bushings make it a pain to align and remove negative camber... the lips contact the subframes and limiti adjustment.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Replace the stock rubber ones with poly....the way to go for sure. Night and day difference when I did my 91.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so I broke down and installed a set of Megan Street Series Coilovers... and all the "floaty" feeling went away!

kept the stock bushings as they look like they're in really good condition still.

I love how the car drives now. Thanks for all the advices guys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a full poly bushing set from the gf for my birthday and so far I've done Swaybars,diff,ruca's and fuca's and it's a pretty noticeable difference.I like how tight the car feels now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts