ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Supporting Member
187 Posts
Im currently experiencing some issues with that myself. I just recently swapped in a 1.8 into my 97 imported from japan...lol So it doesn't have the egr valve on the intake manifold nor the pipe running along the rear of the engine to the headers. I installed the Crankshaft position sensor and it fires up. The problem is im getting code P0335 Crankshaft position sensor malfunction. I switched the sensor to another one that I had and it still fired up but i got the error. I tried resting the ecu by disconnection the battery for ~10 min(dunno if thats overkill) but it didn't work.
Is it possible that since im still running all my old harnesses that my 1.8 is from pre-96 so that it doesn't require the sensor?
Didn't mean to thread jack just figured id share my problem.
Thanks WPMiata

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am in the process of rebuilding a 96 right now. I did some of the modifications you mentioned ( not the EGR though) and am having the same issue along with the same code when I start the engine. It runs fine although the idle is hunting a bit. A little background: I replaced the wiring harness under the dash and into the engine bay with a 97 wiring harness. One thing I noticed (and the wiring diagrams bears this out) the wire color for the 96 harness is a bit different than the 97. I went back and switched the harness (this part was still the original 96) from where it connects under the dash back to the ECU. The ECU is a 97 ECU as well. No luck. I still get the code immediately upon start of the engine.

One thing you might check that I learned is if you took off the plate right behind the crank pulley it is very easy to get this turned around backwards. If you did, take this back off and flip it and see if that corrects your problem.
Unfortunately for me this did not change my issue. I would appreciate any ideas anyone might have for this problem as well.

Thanks

Dan

·
Supporting Member
187 Posts
When I initially tried starting up my 97 after the swap i used the harness that controls the injectors and a couple other things from the engine I got. The car didnt start with the JDM harness but when i switched to the old harness with my old engine it fired right up. Like I said the engine runs very strong. The timing is set and I have no indication of a misfire. Im still doing some research to see if i can find a solution, If I ill post here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts