ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Zero felonies. One deportation.
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, some of you guys know that my neighbour has been an idiot recently, and it's just getting worse. He goes out of his way to block the parking spot in front of our house(can easily park 3 cars there) so no one can park there, he killed our tree with a weedwhacker, put rocks in our yard, and killed our bushes.
Over the holidays he decided to park in the middle again, and with everyone on our street having out of town family over there just wasnt room for that with all the extra cars on the street. So 6 neighbours, my dad and I jacked up the back end of his truck and pushed it into his driveway. It took forever, but we managed it. This morning My dad woke up and said he parked between our houses(our property) he said he rang the door bell and told him to move the truck. He did, but you can still see the tire marks.
I'm not sure why he's like this, we never did anything to annoy him in the 10 years we've lived here. It never bothered him that we've parked there for the 9 years prior to this one.
Anyways, my parents have had enough of it, so what were going to do is get a blueprint to map out the exact property lines, build a privacy fence straight across there, and in the area where his trailer is pictured (between the houses) we're going to build a little lean to garage for me. So that I can put my miata in there during winter months.
My house is the one on the right, he parked between them this morning.

As far as we know our property line is from where the fence goes to the post on the gate. yes, that's his ugly rock "garden".

Anyone have any experience with bad neighbours? Any word of advice?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Sugar? (j/k)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Your parents have the right idea with going to the city and getting blue prints. With proof in your hand, your neighbour cant say ****.

·
Supporting Member
106 Posts
wow he totally fucked you out of that part of your yard. drop some truth on him wit da law on your side hopefully. good luck

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
If he is indeed on your property, depending on how long etc he has been there and if those fences from his house is taking part of your yard, he could have squatters rights or some other screwy law that causes boundry lines to shift etc.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Next time the truck is on your property call a local tow yard and have them do a PPI and then get ready for the **** storm...

Build the fence and when questioned, explain yourself and then tell him you don't want to be reimbursed for the cost of half the fence, keeping on his own side will be fine compensation.

You will be thought of as the asshole, embrace it as it will put you on higher ground but don't succumb to the belief that you really are the asshole as you know better.

Thus ends todays philosophy lesson kids, please clear your desks and push in your chairs and walk carefully to the bus stop. Have a great day!

·
Zero felonies. One deportation.
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^thanks for the advice. We'll have to get blueprints to make sure that we are building the fence on our property, because I already know even if it's a tiny bit off he's going to find any reason to start a fight.
hows your space on the other side of the house? any pics?
My house or his? On the other side of my house is our driveway/garage. But my parents keep their car in there so I can't. The other side of his house is a 6ft wide walkway between his house and his neighbours fence.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
I'm in for the towing idea. Around here a person has to park on the street or driveway. If they park in grass it is illegal and an offense resulting in getting your car towed. If I saw someone parked in my yard on purpose, I wouldn't even warn them........just call the tow company

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
You need a land/parcel survey. That will cost money to have a surveyor come out and stake the site, but it sounds like it's worth it in this case.

I don't know the laws or codes for Canada, but in the US, it's best to get the proper permits from the city or municipality. When you acquire the permits, tell your neighbor. If you are paying for it and it is built within code, there is little he can do about it without paying out of his own pocket.

If he does choose to fight it, I would lay odds his fence/arrangement isn't to code and he may find himself self-imposing fines for lack of permits, easement violations, etc. You and your parents should check easement codes so you can't be held in violation if you park the car there, build a lean-to, etc. Your neighbor will use those to make it a thorn in your side if you don't do your research.

Also, in the US, if someone has been using a piece of your property for X amount of time, i don't remember the specifics, they have a legal right to that property. In that case, their property taxes will change, a new parcel plan will be drafted, etc.

Woolery is doing something similar with his lot and it's pretty impressive. His neighbors have pushed the issue too far and he is building a monster privacy wall. His neighbors are PISSED but it's sort of humorous and I'm glad he's doing it.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Well In real estate basics we learned that if it been like that for 10 years or more it's his. And there really isn't much you can do about it. Get the property surveyed and hopefully get can't prove how long its been like that. Might turn into a nasty legal battle.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts