ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who in here has experienced rolling fenders with a baseball bat, I know how to do it...just never did it on a miata. Is it harder then a fender roller, is it not worth the trouble. Seeing that I can buy a Louisville for 20 dollars compared to a Eastwood for around 250 or renting it for 50(250 deposit), I rather role with a baseball bat. What do you guys think.

I'm still undecided which rims to get, the Sportmax 002 or the Rota RB.... I know the 002s need major rolling and negative camber.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
if the look of your car is of little value to you, then use the bat. Or better yet, use a hammer. I think they're as cheap as $6 at home depot.

In other words.. theres a right tool for every job. :)
... if the look of your car... blah blah blah

if the tires not rubbing is of value to you, you can do it, and it works fine if your carefull. Just use a heat gun on the paint on the area before your start, and do it slow.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i have a citreon ax handy if you need to borrow it

·
Registered
343 Posts
if the look of your car is of little value to you, then use the bat. Or better yet, use a hammer. I think they're as cheap as $6 at home depot.

if the tires not rubbing is of value to you, you can do it, and it works fine if your carefull. Just use a heat gun on the paint on the area before your start, and do it slow.

Haha.. blah blah blah?? hmmmm, when he chips or burns his paint, maybe you'll help him re-paint it his car. :roll:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

Haha.. blah blah blah?? hmmmm, when he chips or burns his paint, maybe you'll help him re-paint it his car. :roll:
Give him a little credit, jesus. warm the paint, roll the fender, I think he can do it. the biggest challenge is patience.

besides he asked about rolling with a bat, he should be able to handle if he messes it up a little.

-on topic again-
btw Ive had both rb and sportmax now, depending on how low you are and tire size, they need about the same ammount of camber and fender rolling so... whatev.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Its obvious Sid's never going to get what Im trying to say.

Blaze1... if it were me, and the right tool were available for $30 more, id take the correct tool over the bat any day. Easier to use, end result will be cleaner and will take you less time. Good luck and let us know how it turns out, regardless of how you choose to do it.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I understand what your saying, I do. but you make it sound as if its wrong. its not wrong, but its also not ideal.

he asked, I say he can, you say he should use a roller... got it. dont ever disagree with you. got it. anything else I should note?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

A hammer dosent seem to logical too me compared to the bat, I value my car but hot rodders been using bats for decades.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I understand what your saying, I do. but you make it sound as if its wrong. its not wrong, but its also not ideal.

he asked, I say he can, you say he should use a roller... got it. dont ever disagree with you. got it. anything else I should note?
yeah, maybe you should note that while using the wrong tool, and having it work "ok" in the past doesn't mean its a right way of doing it, and telling someone who may or may not have the same mechanical ability as you that it?ll work fine with ?patients? might not be the best advice. If he had the experience and knowledge, I doubt he?d be here asking us if it?s a good idea or not. This goes for a lot of things in life.. not just cars. I was trying to give some advice about doing it the right way with the tool engineered to do the job correctly. He can choose to take the advice ot leave it. If something DOES go wrong, he's going to be really pissed, and wished he had spent the extra $30 dollars. If nothing else, its nice to have piece of mind knowing your using the right tools.

·
Registered
239 Posts
^^ lol...

the "right" way, yeah. there is no right way. there are multiple ways to roll a fender with different outcomes. the saying "you get what you paid for" comes into play here. use a bat, and a heat gun, risk chipping your paint, but have money left over to do what you want with! $30 will go a decent way at the nudie bar (with proper discretion). or spend a little more, and get the job done faster, and without having to take the time to be too careful.

fender rollers are the ****, and if you like your paint a lot, rent one. or buy one, and rent it to other people who need it!

if you don't mind a few chips in your fender's paint, go with the bat/hammer method. use that extra cash to pick up a 12 pack or a bottle of jagermeister first. you know, to help you "concentrate"

there is no right way to do it, they both get the job done.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^ lol...

the "right" way, yeah. there is no right way. there are multiple ways to roll a fender with different outcomes. the saying "you get what you paid for" comes into play here. use a bat, and a heat gun, risk chipping your paint, but have money left over to do what you want with! $30 will go a decent way at the nudie bar (with proper discretion). or spend a little more, and get the job done faster, and without having to take the time to be too careful.

fender rollers are the ****, and if you like your paint a lot, rent one. or buy one, and rent it to other people who need it!

if you don't mind a few chips in your fender's paint, go with the bat/hammer method. use that extra cash to pick up a 12 pack or a bottle of jagermeister first. you know, to help you "concentrate"

there is no right way to do it, they both get the job done.
Good point... I really want to buy a roller now.

But seriously, has anyone on here actually used a baseball bat fender roller themselves?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think I have more experience on this topik then most. If you want to just roll ur fenders not pull them all thats needed is a hammer wrapped in a cloth and a propane torch. Thats what was used to do my fenders. Then the roller is just used to finaly smooth it and pull it if need be. I am friends with alot of VIP guys and this is how they do it on there 50k lexus's and infinitis. So its not getto. But you have to be slow and smooth when happering the fenders to intially crease the lip backwards. Then keep on going and u can use a roller to smooth out at the end. Check out vipstylecars.com, u can learn alot about fender processing and fitment

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I gotta ask, what is the process of doing the fenders in that manner... I keep imagining someone just wrapping a hammer in a rag and hammering away at there inner fender, don't see how that's logical. I really like your car though, especially how you got your wheels to fit so can you tell me the process?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts