ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery light came on yesterday. Car started fine but if you give it a rev it will go away. I changed my alternator a year ago and just replaced my battery last summer. I check the voltage and i got 12.20 with the motor started

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres tension on the belt but the belt looks like it needs to be changed. Theres cracks on the belt.

Any other solutions?

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
maybe get your battery tested to see if it is going bad or not...check the wire running to the alternator to see if it is messed up anywhere?

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the battery to autozone to get it tested, tested Good.

I know have 12.20 uncranked and 14.4 cranked. What the hell happened? battery light is off.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
took the rear sway bar off and took it for a test drive, at idle the battery light came on.

The voltmeter read:
12.2 uncrank
12.2 cranked!

That leaves the alternator and belt but the alternator is almost a year new and the belt is pretty crusty looking. Could this be the culprit?

Damn, i have a autocross event tomorrow too!! [email protected]#$

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Belt changed, thanks Ben but still the battery light is on. The batt. light stays on until i hit 2300-2500 rpm then goes off. Battery tested good, new wires, not even a year old alternator. Maybe i'll replace the alternator again? or could it be a dead cell in the battery? I dont know, help needed.

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
Check the brushings inside the alternator. If they're worn down it could cause symptoms such as the ones you are experiencing. It will only cost about $15 for a new set. They are very easy to replace once you have the alternator out. Could save you a good amount of money if this is your problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts