ClubRoadster.net banner

41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So here are some pics of us making the second wing.

Laying up the wing, some 3 or 4 layers of carbon weave, waterjet cut 12mm alloy end plate mounts. The shape was designed by lightyear and myself, and then drawn in CAD by yours truly.

Vacuum bagging the whole lot because wings love pressure differentials.

Makeshift autoclave to aid with post curing, $12 heater and some old blankies to keep 'er warm.

Straight out of the bag, needs a few hours of sanding and cleaning up.

Strength test, after this photo was taken we had a go at standing on the wing at the same time. The wing didn't bat an eyelid.

Sanded, trimmed, holes tapped for mounting to the wing endplates. Not 100% finished in this pic, but almost....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm overdue for an update.

Floor cut is done, the OMP seat can bolt in and STAY in now, and it is actually reasonably low...... Have I mentioned how much I hate MX-5's and their lack of room for seats?

Anyway.... onto something different. LS2 Corvette Coils.
Thankfully, these are easily available in Australia because every second V8 Holden runs the LS motor.

Well I need to find a nice and neat way to mount these, so, bust out my low spec 'fabrication' tools. Angle grinder, hammer, some bits of steel.

So, after an hour or two of work, this was the mockup of what I had in mind.

I then cut down the M6 rod, welded a nut to the end of it to make a 200mm long bolt.
And cut up some alloy tube for spacers between the coil packs.

With the main bracket now done. I added some very necessary speed holes and gave it a shot of silver paint.

All Bolted up to the motor.

There is also a length of M6 rod on the other side of the coil packs with alloy tube spaced between them and a small steel brace to keep them supported. I tried to make it subtle on that side and I think I succeeded.

Lastly, wiring..... a work in progress at the moment. Thanks to Alex 'bartune' Barton for the help with this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks for the kind words folks.

'Tackle' is definitely the right word... Sometimes these things take a really long time, sometimes they take 3 or 4 attempts. But I like to think I am building the car on a reasonably budget, mostly all myself, and to a reasonably good level of quality.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I was very satisfied when I fired up the ECU last weekend and everything seems to be working well.

After all the:
  • rewiring of sensors
  • new injector and coil pack looms
  • deletion of all the unnecessary dash wiring
  • hefty wire cleanup from many of the wires in the engine bay
We tested injectors, checked the LS2 coil packs, configured the oil temp and oil pressure sensors, setup the MAC valve..... and everything was working as expected. The MS3 was happy and so am I.

Next thing to do is update the ECU firmware, and get the flex fuel sensor working.
The docco I've looked at suggests I need to be using the 'clutch switch' input to the ecu, and it appears the firmware the ECU is currently running is missing the flex sensor functionality.
While there is a very good chance I will run the car on dedicated E85, I might as well set the flex sensor up if I can.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Nice install on the ls2 coil packs. I'm still trying to decide where to stick minein the wiper cowl area.
**** I was tired when I typed that... Glad you understood the idea i was attempting to convey. But I'm looking at how much I have left over in my engine bay once everything is in place. my strut brace prevents me from mounting mine similarly to your setup. I prefer to have shorter plug wires.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Update time!

While reworking the wiring for the coil packs, things got a little out of hand and all the wires from the engine loom have now been trimmed and rewrapped.(As I mentioned in an earlier post)
You can see the two Deutsch plugs for the injectors and coil packs. And all the front wires now run down the middle of the intake manifold, no more unsightly wires along the motor and out the front like you see on a stock NB.

New coil packs needed new plug leads.
So I got myself some fat wire, boots and crimpers.

After a few hours one evening in front of the telly.... 4 leads for me and 4 spares in the event of an issue in the future.

I need to be sure to manage temperatures, so I've made a heatshield for the exhaust manifld/turbo.
Designed and folded from CAD, the mockup worked well because the end result looks quite reasonable.
I made it extra deep on the rear/turbine side.
Welded some studs to the manifold and it now bolts on quite happily.

Had to pull the manifold off the car to weld the studs on, so here's the neat little package with turbo, lines and downpipe all together.
It's tricky, but this whole lot can be installed onto the car assembled as is.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Sorry for keeping you all in the dark lately. Life gets in the way sometimes.

After some 3 or more years in use, I've removed the fastback from the track car.....
It's being demoted, but thankfully it has been replaced by a newer, lighter version, kindly donated by the Lightyear.
So I have started work on mounting the new roof. It will then need to be prepped, painted and windows installed.

But the roof hasn't gone far. At least not for the moment.

Speaking of the NA, I put it on the dyno recently to see just whether or not the supercharger was running everything ok and not going result in a surprise kaboom.

The results:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Haha thanks MiataMan

Some more news...

A sticker arrived in the mail...

And was installed on the car.

I've also managed to get the Nexus Tablet working with the 'OTG' USB cable, so it can now charge while connected to a USB device. (such as the ECU)
If you're not familiar with these gizmos, basically the USB port in a phone or tablet which most people only know of as a charge port can in fact also be used to connect other devices like a keyboard, mouse or usb thumb drive.
However, what if you want to charge the device while also connecting another device? Well you need a 'OTG' USB cable.

Here's me taking a photo because I was so happy that I got it working with MSdroid talking to the MS3.

While I am using MSdroid above, I am actually thinking of moving to ShadowDash for more customisation.
So I started on a custom dashboard to run in the car whilst out on track. After a few nights after work doing the designs.... I went from this:

To something more like this...

And so I''ve pretty much finished the Dash for now, and quite chuffed with the result. :)
Created images for all the indicators I want to use, so things like overboost, CEL, and FanOn now display with stylish icons.
Once I start using it in the car, I may need to make some adjustments

VIDEO:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
While a large majority of the underbonnet work on the car is done (well, for now), there were a couple of things that I did need to address to settle my OCD.

So, I wanted to moved the IAT sensor to read post intercooler.
The easiest way to do this was to tap into the side of the intercooler. I'm hoping that where the sensor is now mounted will give a reasonably accurate reading.

The standard GM IAT calls for a 3/8 NPT Tap....

Here's a shot down into the gizzards of the cooler. It all looks about right to me.

The other thing that needed attention was the water pump inlet pipe. It was too close to the turbo for my liking, and meant that removing the turbo would probably require removing this pipe.
So I took to it with the cutting blade on the grinder, and gave it a slight kink, just enough to get the clearance I need.

Next is to weld this back together, but I'll leave that for another day.

41 - 60 of 133 Posts