ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'99 STR autocross build

Finially picked up my miata last month ('99 base, power windows thats about it)

It needed a little work to be race ready but as It sits it's pretty nice. Got a check engine light so I need to fix that first, then replace the bushings on the passenger front shock. Then new brake pads, roll bar, wheels tires, cleaning.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then I got a little deeper into the car and realized that the Water pump was leaking and the timing belt had NEVER been changed. 155k miles on the motor as it sits.

Fallowed all the instructions and help given to me on this site and a few others. and got it done

here are the parts I ordered

boring stuff but its MY STUFF:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After all that was fixed it was time to start making it a race car

Got time to work on the car

Fixed the front shock assembly
Resurfaced the steering wheel
Installed stickers and racing #s
Cleaned the car

Racing numbers

With FLASH

Clean wheels

And windshield decal

NOTE: black wheels and tires are up for sale!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Nice start you have there. If its just going to be an autocross car I would forgo the roll bar and spend the money elsewhere. If its going to see the track at all then please for safety sake to the roll bar.

I have a black 99 base model also. I am dying to get rid of the Megan EZ Streets for something better. What do you have for suspension?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Nice start you have there. If its just going to be an autocross car I would forgo the roll bar and spend the money elsewhere. If its going to see the track at all then please for safety sake to the roll bar.

I have a black 99 base model also. I am dying to get rid of the Megan EZ Streets for something better. What do you have for suspension?
sorry for jacking this thread a little, assuming you've autox'd the megan ez streets, how are they? Why do you want to get rid of them? It's hard trying to find people who've pushed the ez streets, but on paper they're the best bang for buck imo. A few local guys are interested in them, but there is like no feedback on how they hold up in autox situations.

·
Registered
930 Posts
They suck. I am on an open diff car and have run various tires. The car is a tail happy bitch, and there is NOTHING I can do to stop it. I have the front shocks 1 click down from full stiff, the rear shocks 2 clicks up from full soft, the rear sway bar disconnected and have tried up to a 6PSI differential if tire pressures front to rear (lower in the rear). Every time I take a corner the back end comes around on me, and the car should be pushing more then a snow plow in January.

The list of tires I have used and have gotten the same results. I have also had a friend of mine who is a very good driver run the car, and he has the same thing happen.

Kumho Ecsta XS
Nitto NT01
Bridgstone RE11
Falken Azenis RT615

This is with probably 10 events run since last summer. I can usually get a pretty good bead on a car in a run or two. The thing I keep coming back to with this one is the rear springs are just too stiff and there is not enough travel in the shocks.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The best bang for your buck would be FM Vmaxx xtremes
except, you're going off FM's reputation only, which thought it's well deserved, doesn't mean being critical goes out the window.

First of all, monotube > twin tube (megan holds this over the vmaxx)
Second, I'm not convinced the original vmaxx aren't modified racelands
Third, the price bump over regular v-maxx is pretty siginificant
Forth, megans come with top hats, which means ease of installation, and anyone who has ever re-used stop top hats for coils will tell you of the small annoyances that come with it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
They suck. I am on an open diff car and have run various tires. The car is a tail happy bitch, and there is NOTHING I can do to stop it. I have the front shocks 1 click down from full stiff, the rear shocks 2 clicks up from full soft, the rear sway bar disconnected and have tried up to a 6PSI differential if tire pressures front to rear (lower in the rear). Every time I take a corner the back end comes around on me, and the car should be pushing more then a snow plow in January.

The list of tires I have used and have gotten the same results. I have also had a friend of mine who is a very good driver run the car, and he has the same thing happen.

Kumho Ecsta XS
Nitto NT01
Bridgstone RE11
Falken Azenis RT615

This is with probably 10 events run since last summer. I can usually get a pretty good bead on a car in a run or two. The thing I keep coming back to with this one is the rear springs are just too stiff and there is not enough travel in the shocks.
Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for. Can we confirm you've got 8K front, and 6k rear spring rates?

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
1st of all, no I'm not. Being a novice assistant for my autox region means I drive a lot of cars. If also means that I most often drive miatas because a) its autox and b) I drive miata so I can quickly help them.

I've driven on Megan's, vmaxx, vmaxx extremes, and a few others.

The suspension I have on my car now, illuminas with FM springs, are leaps and bounds better than Megan coils. Like literally light years. The vmaxx extremes are the first cheap coils I've driven that felt better than my shock/springs. I feel like they're better than the $1300 tiens.

Shock dynos have proved that the vmaxx coils and racelands are nothing alike. Even holding both in your hand you can tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
^even so, wasn't talking to you, was talking to the guy who actually lived with em. Not just take a car with them out for a few 50 seconds stints.

btw, I have held racelands and non-adjustable v-maxx in my hands. They feel practically identical in weight and materials.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Kumho Ecsta XS
Nitto NT01
Bridgstone RE11
Falken Azenis RT615

So, this might be obvious, but why the hell haven't you tried putting a front bar on the car?

·
Registered
284 Posts
get a front bar... I had the vmaxx extreme track pack coils on my car without a front bar and they were nearly terrifying. Slapped a RB hollow front bar on the car and it's like frickin magic.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts