ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have the original factory speakers in my doors of my NA and they are horrible. Since my NA is my 'racecar' for autocross and track days (eventually) I don't care about having a kickass stereo set-up in it. I've got an old Sony Xplod head unit that's probably 10 years old but it works. I am looking for the best, cheapest speakers to replace them. Cheap meaning under $50 for the set. I know I'm expecting a lot, but I wasn't sure if there was a cheap option. I guess my questions is 'What is the best set of speakers I can get for $50'

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Make sure you get at least a 6.5 (IIRC this is as big as you can go without having to do any work) to provide enough bass to overcome the amount of ambient cabin noise. I picked up set of Dual brand 6.5"s on the cheap here, I don't think they're more than $50 new, so those might be a good choice. Definitely a huge upgrade over stock and over the Sony 5.25s I had.

·
Mnt Climber/ Trail Runner
180 Posts
I have Polk's everywhere on my car (headrest, doors). Polk's 6.5 two way sound AWESOME and are like $60 on Amazon.com

Good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks for the advice. I will look into a 6.5" speaker set. Hopefully soon my radio will no longer sound like a cheap alarm clock radio!!!! :woolery:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Make sure it's a 6.5S (6.75") or compatible, the NAs have an odd pattern that normal 6.5" speakers don't mount directly into the door frames.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it, thanks!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
go for a 2 or 3 way speaker, this will give you a better sound compare to stock also you dont need to get a high wattage speaker since its only being powered by your deck. my pioneer speakers only put up about 30 watts max and it made my system sound clean

·
Registered
250 Posts
And they're pioneer!
/I have a Pair and have yet to blown. Just order baffles to avoid water damage

·
Mnt Climber/ Trail Runner
180 Posts
Polk's DB 651

This is what I have, they are "marine rated" as in for boats, so they are water proof. The sound is OUTSTANDING, and the price $60 or so.

I did have to drill two holes, and I have three screws, but no rattle and NO problems!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I'll second the DB651's. My first set went out after a year after hitting a rain storm (I didn't use any sort of water shielding). Do yourself a favor and order some XTC baffles. I have my second set of 651's in now and I'm still lovin em.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts