ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I want to upgrade my suspension ASAP - and it seems like Moss has the best deals on components.

I was looking at the H&R springs mainly because it's a 1.5in drop with a 15% spring rate increase, which should still be alright for street.

What I'm wondering is, what do you guys think would be the best shocks to be paired with the H&R springs? KYB? Tokico?

Or would you guys advise against the H&R's in general?

I was also looking at the suspension packages Flyin' Miata sells, but I don't think their springs are going to lower the car as much as I want. If their springs lowered it as much as the H&R's I'd definitely go with their Stage 1 for $599, but I seriously doubt they will. I don't want to cut brand new springs, either.

So, suggestions? Thanks everyone!

·
Esteemed Member
3,776 Posts
Id go agx's if your on a budget, also Id consider buyin some bump stops since youll be in there anyways

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was leaning towards the AGX's, but I've always heard people prefer Tokico over KYB.

I'm definitely on a budget - haha, unfortunately it's a pretty hardcore one. :?

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$750 isn't too bad for a full set of coilovers.

However, I'm slightly weary of going with coilovers just because I don't really know that much about them, other than they offer a pretty wide array of adjustability.

Do they wear out faster than a conventional shock/spring combo? I have no idea how to preset the weights or loads nor what should be adequate for the street. I've never had hands on experience with coilovers before - all just performance struts/shocks/springs.

I'm looking for something that won't burn a hole in my wallet, will last me a good long time, and isn't expensive to get rebuilt (I know tein offers revalving/rebuilding/etc). Does the Tein Basic coilover system offer these things?

·
Registered
24 Posts
my experience with Tein is a mixed one. I had Tein Flexs on my WRX. This car was used as a daily driver and weekend track car. I'd say the struts lasted about 50k miles. They performed really well and were good quality but were kinda harsh, but i guess that is to be expected from coilovers. Additionally, Tein has facilities in the US and offer rebuilds on their coilovers. I think for a car that sees mostly normal driving, springs/struts is the way to go. If handling is more important than comfort, then go with coilovers.

-david

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
you can also get them cheaper than $750. and the basics do not offer a wide range of adjustability, just height. I'm thinking of getting these myself as I'd like a cheapish package that already has the springs and dampening set up for me, no need to fiddle with knobs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts