ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now there is some audiophiles here in cr so I was just wondering what kind of headphones you guys use for djing? A friend of mine bought a pair of grado sr225i's and they sound great but lack the bass of say beats by dre. I like the vintage look of grado and sound quality but I was just wondering if anyone uses them to dj with and if not what do you guys use.

I've been playing with virtual dj for a couple moths now (free edition) you know something to play with while friends are over instead of having to listen to a playlist on an iPod and I'm ready to make the plunge and buy the pro version or serato and wanted a high end pair of headphones to go along.

·
(⌐■_■)
2,309 Posts
Grado would be a terrible choice for a dj. I imagine you would want a closed back design. Shure, Senny, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Ultrasone, Audio Technica are some brands to look into. Don't confuse lack of bass with too much bass - although this is subjective, personally, I like a neutral, balanced sound. From what I've heard, Beats by Dre are incredibly overpriced for what they offer. Monster cable is right up there with bose for the best marketing department

·
Registered
773 Posts
Pioneer HDJ 2000 without a doubt. A bit pricey, but worth it. If you quality, you have to fork it over. They are a tested choice. Sony MDR are pretty good also, and a little cheaper. Sennheiser, Allen & Heath, anything with a good 1/4" jack, 50+mm drivers, and quality hinges/build.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have had a set of Audio Technica ATH M50's for about a year and a half now. Although I don't do DJ'ing I mostly used them for mixing many songs when monitors weren't an option and they have out performed the $120 price when I got them.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grado does make closed cans IIRC. Beats by Dre is all garbage in the price range -- don't even bother.
I checked once more with grado but it seems they are all open air design.

I'll check on with some of the other manufactures and compare here and there but thanks so far for everyones input.

·
The colder Adam
2,197 Posts
For me, I have honestly been more than happy with Sony MDR-V150 headphones. They get the job done well enough (i.e. hear what you are cueing up next) and are cheap enough to not be bummed if you break them or they get snatched. Now, I have used these in bars and in studios and they have been more than fine. I only really DJ'd punk rock though so no fancy stuff (beat matching, back and forth cross fading, etc...) but they get the job done for cheap and that has always been good enough for me.

Also, just to put my $.02 in, if you are using a Mac, I would HIGHLY recommend the program djay. I love this program. Half the cost of the one you are looking at, automatically syncs with iTunes and really stable. I have used it for live DJing, radio broadcasts, and podcasting.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Pioneer HDJ 2000 without a doubt. A bit pricey, but worth it. If you quality, you have to fork it over. They are a tested choice. Sony MDR are pretty good also, and a little cheaper. Sennheiser, Allen & Heath, anything with a good 1/4" jack, 50+mm drivers, and quality hinges/build.
I got these for my daughter, now she doesn't DJ but she does write/record music... So I'm not sure how the open air design of them would work in a club or party... But these have incredible sound for the money.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/over-ear-headphones-highest-quality-headphones_004465

·
Registered
740 Posts
I use these. Gooooooood stuff. Works very well at club volume levels and it's crisp and clear.
Solid build quality.

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
I've used Sony Mvr 700 (or something like that) headphones in the past & loved them but they'd last about a year before something would break. I've been using a set of Stanton's for the last 2-3 years & honestly think they're about the same sound quality, were about $25 cheaper & are waaay more durable. Truth be told, I stopped spinning club gigs over a year ago, so the Stanton's don't get thrown around much.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just use some crappy Sony MDR-xD300. I don't really want to hear some loud ass bass in my ear. It's good enough with these and I'll hear it coming out of the PA.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I just use some crappy Sony MDR-xD300. I don't really want to hear some loud ass bass in my ear. It's good enough with these and I'll hear it coming out of the PA.
Exactly what I use and my thoughts on the bass. That is why Sony didn't put a lot of bass into these. It's just not needed.

And stay away from the Dre's. It's Best Buy crap.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey Mystery have you tried these monoprice they're talking about? I think it's worth a shot for 21 bucks.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hey Mystery have you tried these monoprice they're talking about? I think it's worth a shot for 21 bucks.
I haven't, but for about $20, you can't go wrong. Even if they dont meet your standards, they will make a great set to kick around and mow the lawn with! I'd pick them up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts