ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys looking to buy another mk1 ,after owning 1 for 4 years sold it because of weather in uk but now regret it so looking at buying another ,myself my dad and uncle all owned 1.6 cars ,but my uncle recent sold his and bought 1.8 and he said there seem a lot better ,would say that because he owns 1 now but when he add 1.6 said that was best ,i think the 1.6 revs better and is a better engine ,your comments please ,as i said im looking at buying another cheers karl

·
'Bout dat life
4,106 Posts
You answered it yourself, the 1.6L does feel more lively. You're just not going to be moving anywhere. The 1.8L's I've driven feel dead above 4K rpm. The 1.8L has much more potential for power though.

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Kony For President
2,036 Posts
Twin charged 5.0 if not a quad-turbo'd W16.

Seriously, though... read up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so 16. 18 ,which would you go for , what sort of mods can you do to them cheaply as im in the middle of a couple of projects

·
Supporting Member
1,529 Posts
as someone who dailies both a 1.6 and 1.8, the 1.8 is so much more practical. in the 1.6, im practically flooring it everywhere. the 1.6 honestly does feel alot preppier at 5k+ rpm.

·
Gang-Ban Organizer
2,720 Posts
This is an opinion thread. The 1.8 makes more power and tq. The reason the 1.6 feels better up top is because its gutless down low. Drive the 1.8 at 80% throttle till 4000rpm then floor it for the same sensation.

The 1.8 is a better motor

·
Chinchilla Rancher
3,880 Posts
You gotta remember the 1.6's were/are lighter than the 1.8's and have a shorter rear end gear than the 1.8's. If you removed all the stuff/junk from the 1.8's that made them heavier I'm sure it would feel more like the 1.6 if not better.

·
Supporting Member
1,724 Posts
I prefer 16 year olds to the 18 year olds these days.

·
Registered
55 Posts
After owning both, I definitely lean towards the 1.8, especially the earlier non-VVT motors. I believe FM recommends starting with a '94-95 motor for boost. Also, there seem to be more aftermarket parts available on the second hand market for 1.8s.

·
Registered
671 Posts
after having both,im liking the cheesy gordita less than the regular gordita since the cheese sauce taste too weird.plus the price is a little better for the regular gordita supreme...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Which cat is best?

·
Supporting Member
1,724 Posts
My cat is the best.

·
Registered
349 Posts
When mine was a kitten