ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys looking to buy another mk1 ,after owning 1 for 4 years sold it because of weather in uk but now regret it so looking at buying another ,myself my dad and uncle all owned 1.6 cars ,but my uncle recent sold his and bought 1.8 and he said there seem a lot better ,would say that because he owns 1 now but when he add 1.6 said that was best ,i think the 1.6 revs better and is a better engine ,your comments please ,as i said im looking at buying another cheers karl

·
Kony For President
3,096 Posts
Twin charged 5.0 if not a quad-turbo'd W16.

Seriously, though... read up.

·
Gang-Ban Organizer
2,857 Posts
This is an opinion thread. The 1.8 makes more power and tq. The reason the 1.6 feels better up top is because its gutless down low. Drive the 1.8 at 80% throttle till 4000rpm then floor it for the same sensation.

The 1.8 is a better motor

·
Chinchilla Rancher
9,738 Posts
You gotta remember the 1.6's were/are lighter than the 1.8's and have a shorter rear end gear than the 1.8's. If you removed all the stuff/junk from the 1.8's that made them heavier I'm sure it would feel more like the 1.6 if not better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
After owning both, I definitely lean towards the 1.8, especially the earlier non-VVT motors. I believe FM recommends starting with a '94-95 motor for boost. Also, there seem to be more aftermarket parts available on the second hand market for 1.8s.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.