ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably going to go with Koni race dampners. GC with 550/350. Haven't deciced whos tops I will use, FM, FCM, or ISC. and also unsure as to which front sway bar. But I am tired of the stock suspension. Where is the best place to get the Konis from. I see all over place the koni sports, but no koni race.

Anyone with any ideas, also that may giver me a one stop shopping spot for all of the above?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK,
So goodwinracing has the koni race. for like 249 a corner.
GC with springs there are 399

FM tops are another 263

FCM tops alone are 205

FCM has their coilover set up with tops but no springs for 552

springs will run another 200 then...

So if I go koni 1000
gc 399
fm 263 or FCM 205

Thats a total of 1662 or 1604

if I go the KONI 1000
FCM 552
source own springs ~200

It'll be a total of 1752

Does anyone who has seen the FCM coilover set up think its worth the extra 90-148 or so dollars to run?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Finally someone w. the right idea..
None of these "jdm club/kit" blah blah suspension bits can hang w. this setup.. and you're grand total it still under $2k. Sounds about perfect for an asfault/road rcomp setup.
Koni Race for $250/per is the best you're going to get.. still a specialty item.
Way to go. :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
With CG's and Koni race shocks you should have about 2" of travel front and rear.. unless you're 4x4'ing thats all you need. :)
The FCM's will give you another inch of travel you won't actually need. People that need FCM's are the guys w. full length shocks.

·
2,708 Posts
If you really want them, order from Brian Goodwin, he's a good guy AND he's a competent racer.

If the stiffest you want to go is 550 front, save your money and buy the Tein Flex with 9f/6r rates for around $1400. You get pillow mounts which give you tremendous feedback and adjustable bodies.

My next set-up will either be Tein re-valved for 700lbs in front or slap on two Koni races in front. 500-600 is still too soft for me.

·
2,708 Posts
^I'm honestly laughing because you're not banned yet.

Yet again, you lack any tact or debating skills. Here's a suggestion, when you disagree or think something is wack, just swallow your tongue and drive off a cliff.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
You brought up Tein coilovers as an alternative to Koni race shocks/ground controll for the sole reason of them having a stiffer spring. Thats not funny? One day you will get over the whole JDM parts = better/faster phase. Im not bashing JDM stuff at all but when it comes down to it suspension, brakes, motor, ect... should not be getting overpriced parts becuase there JDM, get what works and is PROVEN fast and reliable. I'll admit its "cool" to have Tein suspention but its not cool when you could have saved hundreds and been even faster. Maybe its just me becuase I hate 90% of JDM coilovers that I've tried.

Oh and BTW 1. Spring rates are hard to judge between different companies. Ive driven lots of hondas with JDM coilovers and some of them with softer spring rates felt harsher/stiffer. 2. It is usually bad in most cases to go to stiff as it will make the car push without a proper overall set-up and tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not taking sides here...

But the reason I am going koni/GC and not Tien is dampner quality. I would have to get into their HA equipment to get to Koni internal quality. Actually I think Teins HA have better internals than Koni race. But then the dollar amount goes up.

Price wise I may be just below ohlins etc.
I talked to Brian today and discussed ohlins vs going the Koni route. For what I am looking to do, he suggested sticking with the Konis...

So just to reitterate (sp?), I am not bashing Tein quality. Just there are different levels, just like Konis, sports vs race, just like ohlins and penske showa etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts