ClubRoadster.net banner

Best upgrades for 1.6 brakes?

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Braineack 
#1 ·
Here's the situation. I have a 1990 NA with stock brakes that i use for track days and autocross. I am planning on putting a turbo kit on in the next year or so and am wondering how much power the stock brakes can handle. I don't really want to get a BBK for a few reasons. 1. i don't have the money 2. the wheels that i have for the track (Enkei RPF1) won't clear BBK.

So what can i do to get the most stopping power and least brake fade out of the stock brakes?

Cheers
Marty

#4 ·
at 170rwhp w/slotted rotors, redstuff pads, ate super blue fluid, stainless lines. I had major break fade and boiled my fluid after my 2nd session on the track.

Seriously consider a 1.8 upgrade if you start boosting and autoxing/tracking

size comparison can be seen here:
http://www.miataturbo.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5912

NAPA blanks are typically Brembos and have been proven time and time again that they handle abuse fine $15-20 each. No point spending money in rotors. It's all about pads. I have Hawk HP+ on order for the street and will be using Blues on the track. Should prove much better results. Ducting in air wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

#6 ·
i have a 94 non-abs brakes. can i use them on my 93 with abs?

or do i need a new topic for this?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but you should be able too. You just need the caliper bracket for the front and rear (swap the brackets from L to R up front) and then rotors/pads.

You are basically spacing the 90-93 caliper out farther, using a larger rotor and larger pad. With fresh fluid... you have a nice "new" brake system.

#7 ·
i have a 94 non-abs brakes. can i use them on my 93 with abs?

or do i need a new topic for this?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but you should be able too. You just need the caliper bracket for the front and rear (swap the brackets from L to R up front) and then rotors/pads.

You are basically spacing the 90-93 caliper out farther, using a larger rotor and larger pad. With fresh fluid... you have a nice "new" brake system.
how about my abs?

#8 ·
The ABS sensors are on the hub...I don't think that there are any sensors on the calipers themselves.

Keep in mind that 01+ cars have even bigger brakes. The calipers from them WILL NOT fit under stock 14" Miata wheels, however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.