Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Junior Sponsor
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE BEWARE FELLOW MIATA OWNERS!
USERNAME: "5:04"

So I contacted username: "5:04" a few weeks ago attempting to purchase his pads/rotors.

I asked him how old the pads were and he told me about a month.
I also asked him how old the rotors were and he told me 2 months max.

I went to get everything put in and do a brake job and pretty much
The mechanic asked me why I would buy old rotors like that. I was
Kind of shocked and didn't know what to say. They say they are pretty much
worthless because they much older than the seller claims..
they went to turn them and one barely passed and one went below!

I contacted him asking him what was going on and it went from:
"For sure its a couple months max" to...

"That's what they told me".

Now if he told me what really happened from the beginning that he
wasn't sure and he got the car with them on, I might not of purchased
his setup since I was in need of pads AND rotors. But that is my
decision to make if I want to gamble on the rotors. NOT HIS!

So I'm just posting up my findings and my side of the story. I waited
about 3 days now for his final response but I haven't gotten any.

Now I am aware he throws the alhambra meets and what not and he seems
like an active member on here. He seemed to express no remorse for what
he did, and didn't even offer to make things right when I asked him
repeatedly to. I'm disappointed that there are members like him on here,
especially since a lot of people know him. Well you live you learn..

The pads he gave me were in fact as new as he promised, the rotors weren't. I really think if you are not sure how old something is, you pass
that EXACT information on to the potential buyer.

Here is our PM's going back and forth.

--------------------THE BOLD WHAT I WROTE-----------:confused:----------

Re: pads/rotor..
I know what you mean man, however they had no ruts and the lip from pad wear was almost non existant so they didn't need to be turned since they had no major imperfections or grooves. They looked and worked fine for me, If I had known you were going to turn them I'd have told you to just buy napa blanks since the spec miata guys run them since they cost the same as turning (about 15 a corner) and typically turning rotors on non vented solid rotors like the rears makes them useless. I sold them as a cheap and easy alternate to buying new pads and rotors ready to mount and run since the pads and rotors were already been run together with no issue. I bought the pads for 100+ and the rotors were still good, the fronts for sure and the rears looked fine when I took them off and compared to the ones I swapped in.

I'm not saying that they were perfect, but they still had life left and I pulled the brakes with someone who's worked on cars for over 20 years and even he commented on how all the brake parts looked almost new. I can't say I remember exactly but i definitely wouldn't have sold something that I though would be dangerous.

here are a couple links on resurfacing and why you shouldn't do it, especially on the rears that are solid and naturally thin.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...turning+rotors

second post in this thread
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...g+brake+rotors

I've sold tons of parts and have never had an issue. New rotors cost a little more than 15 a piece so I'd have never told you to turn them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahajoey
Hmm, well I can't use the rears really and I paid 50 bucks to turn all 4 rotors.
Do you think it's fair i kind of blew 25 bucks plus the pads?

i really felt i got burned on the rotors. i understand your stand point because they told you, but look at it from my point of view.

someone told you they were all a couple months old at max and then you pay to get brake service done and resurfaced and half way into it they tell you you got burned.

what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5:04
Damn dude, When i bought the car they told me the rotors were new, then I put them up against the ones I installed with my brake swap which were new they looked almost the same. There was also no lip from wear on the rotors when I pulled them off like i showed you. The pads were used for 1 month and I know 100% they were new since I bought them. Even when i bought the new brakes the rotors I sold you were nearly the same. To be honest i just threw the rotors in since I didn't want them. I mainly sold them for just the pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahajoey
when i purchased the pads and rotors off you i was told the pads were only a month old and the rotors were only a couple months old..

i recently got them turned and installed onto my car. 2 of the rotors were shady. 1 was actually below spec!

they said that there was no way the rotors were as new as you claimed. i took a few pictures as evidence to show you.

i honestly wouldn't have bought your set if I knew that, my rotors were fine, i just wanted another set so i could turn them before installing them all in one shot. i feel like you ripped me off because now i have rotors that aren't within spec or PASSED the wear line.

what do you think of this situation? what is fair?

·
Junior Sponsor
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i am unable to post up my most recent pm to him, it was something along the lines of
i felt he showed no remorse or even a sorry, and i asked him a few times to make things right and he didn't even care.

·
BaByGuRL!!!
5,494 Posts
well you know what, you fuggged up BIG TIME by buying used rotors. Brand new ones are cheap. That's what you get for taking shortcuts.

C'mon man, they're your brakes don't cheap out on **** like that.

·
BaByGuRL!!!
5,494 Posts
oh btw, IBTL...

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
This is a tricky subject...
5:04 is a legit dude, he's from down here, many of us can vouch. this will get straightened out.

on one hand, I would only use used pads on the rotors with which they were paired for the duration of their use...I wouldn't turn them or anything, just run them as is.

but I also probably would not have bought used brake parts in the first place, either.

If they are just for scooting around town, I'm sure you'll still be fine...and depending on what pads were sold with it, you may still have gotten a good deal.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Damn, from a couple months old "Max" to not knowing? That's messed up... I definitely think you deserve some sort of compensation... Since the seller states you can get replacements for $15 a corner, I think that sounds about fair... You already paid to get them turned, you should be left with rotors that have 2 month of useage "Max" and are in as good of condition as if they were just resurfaced... I don't know the entire ins and outs of your deal, but selling something that has been used for more than what is stated is just f'n shady ****... That's like rolling the odometer on your car and then selling it... Being that the seller is on the forum, YOU WOULD THINK you can trust them not to pull **** like this... Especially on something like that... He would have gotten away with it had you not been the type to want to make sure things are done right, ie. turning your rotors when you are doing a brake job... He even states he didn't think you would, otherwise he'd advise you to get others, (read: not use his)... By his own admission, he knew they were not only a couple months max at that point... Also, NOBODY can "Just look" at rotors and know their condition as he states...

I seriously HATE shady sellers... It really ruins it for the honest buyers and sellers... It casts a shadow of doubt on everything purchased... I understand the whole "buyer beware" thing, but when you are purchasing from someone local who is active in the meets and on the forums, I think being able to trust them on something like this is just a given...

I don't think it's really a question of what you the buyer should or shouldn't have bought or done, but really a question of how the seller was not honest in his description... Yeah, maybe you should have bought new, or not turned them, but that's not really the issue here... It's a matter of misrepresenting what is being sold... That's where I think this sale went bad...

I hope the seller will resolve this fairly...

·
Registered
95 Posts
the pads that 5:04 sold with that set up were Project mu pads used for 2 months hes a legit dude he nearly gave you some free pads. and why would u spend 50bucks to turn rotors when rotors are 15 bucks each?

why don't u call him instead of posting on the internet?

·
Hardparker Extraordinaire
3,388 Posts
Seems like everythings already been said but here's some other ideas:

-age has NOTHING to do with brakes or for that matter most other parts....I say that because if you put in new brakes then only drive once or twice a week to church on a straight road with a 25mph limit the wear is gonna be a lot different than someone who tracks the car/does canyoning everyday It's all about MILEAGE & TYPE OF MILEAGE for most parts IMO!

-5:04 is a legit dude as far as I can tell, but the sneeky mofo did grab that 200 hardtop before I could so for that he's a douche but other than that he's cool lol

-why didn't you measure the rotors with a digital caliper(they're only 4 bucks @ harbor freight) and verify they were still useable?!?!?!?!?!?!?! or better yet why not ask the machine shop to check before the shaved them? Most places would do that anyways first to see if the rotor is ok to machine or a replacement is needed.

-finally, unless they're the super expensive cyro treated powerslot rotors why would you ever turn/shave/machine/whatever when OEM replacements are only a few bucks more a piece (for example in my case it's cheaper for store brand OEM replacements compared to turning @ machine shop and about only 10 more per rotor for new brembo blanks vs. turning)

·
Registered
831 Posts
who the **** buys used rotors????

it's your own fault dude; chump change is what you spent on them, and it's nothing to get all butt hurt about and start a thread in a public place.

my advice is to man up, grow some balls, and deal with it. YOU PAID 25$, get a fucking life dude.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
yeah i've never heard of someone purchasing used rotors...

that's so fucking ridiculous! If you want something good just save up for it.
getting ripped off is one thing but to start a thread on something as stupid as this is just fucking hopeless and will never be resolved.

as jb says. grow a pair and deal.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
yeah i've never heard of someone purchasing used rotors...

that's so fucking ridiculous! If you want something good just save up for it.
getting ripped off is one thing but to start a thread on something as stupid as this is just fucking hopeless and will never be resolved.

as jb says. grow a pair and deal.

·
CR.net Supporter
3,190 Posts
WTF used rotors?!?!?!??!

Holy jesus raptor christ on a stick batman one of the most important fucking parts on a car and your life depends on them and you bought them used?!?!?!?!

·
3,857 Posts
Can somebody give me back $10 for the time I wasted reading this thread? :p
It's amazing how cheap sometimes people that drive miatas can be ... you are wasting all of this energy and time over an argument on how good were the $25 used rotors that you got....wow...

·
Banned
120 Posts
shady business.... this forum is awesome.
everyones here to back there buddy up who is obviously a liar.
gotta love it. hey bro hes local!! deff means hes a good guy!!
LOLZ
and next time buy new rotors....

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
Also, 5:04 recently sold a wholllle bunch of **** off his car on here, and a few sets of wheels, with no complaints...you seem to be the only exception to this rule...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.