ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My NB has a nice feel to it when stopping. Its pretty confident when doing left foot braking, but now my calipers in the rear are leaking :fp: so who's to say a brake upgrade isn't a good thing? Thoughts & Opinions?

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Go for it. Almost guaranteed that unless you just want it for show you don't need it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the good-win kit and go-miata has it for 1,500 & change, It looks like pretty good value unless you can point me in a better direction...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i can tell you from experience get the good win kit.

If your going to track it upgrade your pads. i have the good win bbk. It comes with the beautiful 2 piece DBA rotors. i smoked the pads that come with it at my first auto x. i upgraded to performance friction pads and now it stops crazy fast. it stops so hard that my gf gets pulled up and out of her seat. i got to post a video of her levitating in a 5 point harness.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
What makes you want a big brake kit? What makes you think spending 400-500 on a pad/rotor/ss line/fluid package won't suffice?
Agreed.

Unless your FI and serious about tracking then stock hardware + race pads and good fluid is perfectly adequate.

If we are talking about street use only here the same applies just put a more street friendly pad on but don't let me stop you from buying that BBK. I'm sure GWR, FM, 949 or whoever you purchase it from will be glad to take your money.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Agreed.

Unless your FI and serious about tracking then stock hardware + race pads and good fluid is perfectly adequate.

If we are talking about street use only here the same applies just put a more street friendly pad on but don't let me stop you from buying that BBK. I'm sure GWR, FM, 949 or whoever you purchase it from will be glad to take your money.
good point. you really don't need a bbk. we don't really need boost or to go racing at all.:littlepony: lol

allot of bbk systems will stop you better and although a good set of race pads work well too. braking is safety related. i don't believe being cheap on safety is a good idea. be cheap buying gauges, shift knobs, cold air intakes but not safety. think of that idiot kid that chases his ball into the street. when his brains isn't splattered across your windshield he will thank you for not being cheap.

i know bbk's can be expensive and not everyone can afford them. If you can afford the 1500 bucks then you should buy one.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
i know bbk's can be expensive and not everyone can afford them. If you can afford the 1500 bucks then you should buy one.
That's certainly one way to look at it. Just making sure the OP realizes stock hardware can be made perfectly competent. I'm also someone who thinks it would be embarrassing to arrive at a track day with your freshly installed BBK only to be out-braked by an SM or stock Miata on racepads. Due to bbk being inferior? No. Driver incompetence.

Again, nothing wrong with stimulating the economy and our Miata vendor community as you mention. Just trying to be the practical one here because I own and have experienced plenty of Miatas with perfectly adequate stock braking systems that aren't even used to their capacity.

·
Murse Magnet
7,798 Posts
well if running stock hardware and street driving with occasional auto x what seems to be the consensus of a good pad in most aspects in your opinion. With research it seems that hawk hps and green stuff seem to be good. What is your take

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
look into performance friction pads. made in the usa, best pads you can buy, their parts are currently leading the Daytona 24 and i work for them lol. i can give you guys a tour of the plant when you buy them :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I haven't installed my brakes yet, but I have Hawk HPS pads, Napa blanks, SS lines from Planet Miata, and ATE Super Blue fluid waiting to be put on. I had this setup (minus the SS lines) on my old car (Ford Fusion) and it worked wonderfully.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Don't forget unsprung weight
If you're buying a BBK for what it's intended to do (hauling a 200+ hp Miata down from triple digit speeds) then suddenly unsprung weight is a null factor to consider. :p Least in my mind.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you're buying a BBK for what it's intended to do (hauling a 200+ hp Miata down from triple digit speeds) then suddenly unsprung weight is a null factor to consider. :p Least in my mind.
Totally agree. BBK for HPDE...yes.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Consider what you are driving. And the amount of mass you are trying to bring to a hault. I nearly bought the Wilwood BBK, but when my friend with a miata and I discussed it, it just wasn't worth it, so I just went with a slightly upgraded rotor/pad/lines/fluid package for half the price, that when installed with more than like suffice I'm sure. A stock miata can out brake most cars on the road as is. It's a light and slower car, and how often will you need to mash the brake pedal to the floor while doing 100. If you go to stomp the brakes to stop hitting a person, I don't think a bbk is going to save you more than a couple feet. So just drive slow and aware through neighborhoods imo... My .02.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I auto X the car from time to time and I plan to go FI later on this year, Im starting from the ground up. As someone said before I rather no skimp on safety equipment.... I had high friction pads before and enjoyed it, I just want something with more stopping power so down the line I won't have to worry about it being a cost factor..... Im starting in this order inna sense- brakes/wheels/tires- Chassis Reinforcement- Interior- Power- Exterior....... Something to the tone of that

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1500 Vs. a few hundred for rotors and pads and lines is a big decision but all in all I'll sit down and do the pros and cons to both and see what comes out on top..

·
Registered
20 Posts
aren't the 2 piece rotors lighter then the smaller cast rotors?
They might be but when you go with a BBK the diameter of the rotor usually increases so you have to consider where the weight is distributed. The decrease in static weight of the 2 piece rotor compared to OEM cast rotor may not offset the increase in rotational mass. This all changes depending on how fast the car is going, etc.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts